none
Custom XML and i4i disabling patch: it is an incredible thing!!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

We are developing a complex Word 2007 based editor heavily based on custom XML tags. These tags are validated against 9 XML Schemas attached to the Word document. The solution we are developing is made in C# and VSTO technology.

I have just known that Word 2007 sold after 01/11/2010 and new Office 2010 will not have the custom XML tags in them for i4i court decision. I have tested my solution with Office 2010 Beta (as technet blog post suggest to us) and unfortunately it doesn't work. What happens is that custom XML tags are not showed and re-saving the document will strip new inserted tags from the document. 

This is an incredible things! I think that Microsoft could not allow this kind of stuff. We don't have an alternative solution because we need to validate our custom XML tags with our complex XML Schema hierarchy. 

I read all the documenta in Internet on i4i and custom XML problem but I have few more questions for you:

1) I am in Europe and it isn't much clear if this limited edition of Word 2007 and Office 2010 (without custom XML tags) will be sold only in the USA or in Europe too

2) Is it possible that Microsoft will go away this very important feature that distinguish Word 2007 from OpenOffice?

3) I saw that XML Schema attachment is yet possible in Office 2010 Beta. But why to maintain this without custom XML tags?

Please I read the technet blog post and answer me only with very fresh and (possibly) good news :-)

Thanks
    Friday, February 19, 2010 11:20 PM

All replies

• Check out Gray's blog for information on alternative solutions to custom xml markup: http://blogs.technet.com/gray_knowlton/
    Zeyad Rajabi (MS)
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:23 AM
  • I have just read it and I think Content Controls are not a valid alternative for us. We need to associate a lot of XML Schemas and mark a document with XML tags. I read that i4i sell an Add-in for Word that reenable the custom XML tag in Word. What do you think about it?

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:35 AM
  • i think that the Schemas registered for customXmlMarkups doesn't really validate? it provides only a namespace...
    SDT will replace it well though not in an adorable XML manner... 

i may suggest two solutions for your situation:

solution1: i think you can just extend the base class of SDT elements and implement your schema validation within the extended class, i.e. to extend a customXmlElement of your own out of a Sdt Base Class. anyway it's a lot of work to do and some other new arising problems yet to solve... 
    solution2: Otherwise you can just make a converting method before you saving your file to docx wherein your program converts all customXmlMarkups into SDT elements and convert them back upon loading... this is easy and retaining your legacy codes...

i think solution 2 is much more practical in your case, anyway, to extend the sdt baseclass is suggested as to smoothly preserve any information from customXmlMarkups to Sdt elements(wherein you can use extended attributes to store extra information,such as namespace or such.)

but so far,i am still wait-and-seeing if it is still ok to retain those customxmlMarkups codes ,sicne the Boss has said OOXML SDK still supports it and my project is not necessarily bound to word so tight. 

p.s. if you get any better solution, can you post me a hint?

Welcome to My Blog: xiaoyuvax.spaces.live.com | Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/xiaoyuvax
    Monday, March 8, 2010 4:14 AM