A quick question about additional projects RRS feed

• Question

• User1034446946 posted

Hi

I have a project which has a core, data, service and presentation layer (asp.net mvc), and I am building a cms now I am building the front when which at present has the same setup but different service and presentation layers, however some but not all of the service cross over, so would be ok to have differen projects for many of the services? and if so are there any downsides to having a larger number of sepate projects? and although I am the only developer at the moment wil it make any difference to having multiple developers?

Any information appriciated.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 12:59 PM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

One reason for having code in separate projects is so that multiple developers can work on separate aspects at the same time. The data access person can check that project out and work on it without stopping the UI person from doing what they need to do. Another is so that code can be reused across multiple applications, but maintained in one location.

One downside is having to remember where you put stuff - especially if the namespaces you use don't align with the project/assembly names. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:04 PM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

One reason for having code in separate projects is so that multiple developers can work on separate aspects at the same time. The data access person can check that project out and work on it without stopping the UI person from doing what they need to do. Another is so that code can be reused across multiple applications, but maintained in one location.

One downside is having to remember where you put stuff - especially if the namespaces you use don't align with the project/assembly names. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:04 PM
  • User1034446946 posted

Thanks for the clarification good to know its the way to move forward.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:17 PM