Copy activity Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I am trying to use ADF to get data from on-premise SQL Server to Azure Blob. I am using Windows Authentication of the SQL Server. I am using my labtop as a Gateway that is connected to the on-premise SQL Server over a VPN. However. I get the following error

Copy activity
    encountered an unknown server error: Code: 0 ; Message:
    'Type=System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception,Message=The user name or password is
    incorrect,Source=Microsoft.DataTransfer.ClientLibrary,'.

Need some help to see where the issue is?

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Mohit,

As the error message said, your provided user name or password for the Windows Authentication of the SQL Server is incorrect. Could you double check the setting?

Notice that the character "\" in the Json file should be escaped. E.g. if your actual user name is "redmond\user", you should set as "redmond\\user" in the Json file.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:48 AM
  • Hi sebcruz,

For OnPrem SQL Server, creating Linked Service successfully or Gateway reporting as Online doesn't mean the backend connection string is correct. Therefore, if you see the above error message, you still need to check whether the SQL Authentication is correct.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Mohit,

As the error message said, your provided user name or password for the Windows Authentication of the SQL Server is incorrect. Could you double check the setting?

Notice that the character "\" in the Json file should be escaped. E.g. if your actual user name is "redmond\user", you should set as "redmond\\user" in the Json file.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:48 AM
  • Hi Yingqin,

I also get the same error when trying to execute a pipeline that goes from OnPrem SQL Server to Azure SQL. I successfully created a Linked Service to my Azure SQL instance and the OnPrem SQL Server.   If you get the login wrong you can't Deploy the json definition so I know I have the login correct.  My SQL Gateway reports as Online as well.  Logins are SQL Authentication only so there is not need for domain\\user in the login string.  This is a straight forward copy of a single table from OnPrem SQL to Azure SQL.  In the Dataset definition, is there some additional authentication string that needs to be added?  I'm not sure why I would get this error.  Your thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:00 PM
  • Hi sebcruz,

For OnPrem SQL Server, creating Linked Service successfully or Gateway reporting as Online doesn't mean the backend connection string is correct. Therefore, if you see the above error message, you still need to check whether the SQL Authentication is correct.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:17 AM