VB Project Mysteriously Missing!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I had created a program in VB (Visual Studio 2008) and had run the program and it was working fine.  I had all but complied the program, when I left for vacation.  I left everything as it was, the program was saved with the default "WindowsApplication1" filename.  I don't recall if I saved it manually or not but I do know what whenever I debug a program, it is automatically saved.

After returning from vacation, I noticed my machine had been rebooted due to my companies system update policy.  I went to look for the project and it was gone!  There is no reference to its existence anywhere!  The WindowsApplication1 folder doesn't show in the projects folder, nor does the project show in the recent files or recent projects list in VS2008.  It's as if I never created the project.

I was able to slave the hard drive in another system and search for deleted files using a 3rd party file restore app.  All I found was parts of the application in a deleted directory called Temporary Projects.  This directory is located in the app data folder under my system profile. 

When I try to get the code from Form1.vb it looks as if it is a compiled executable file.  It's garbled with only portions of readable text.  When I open Form1.vb in VS2008 it shows mostly in Hex.

Can anyone explain what happened? And is there ANY way I can recover my project?

Thanks in advance for you assistance!

JRW

Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:07 PM

Answers

• How much work was put into this project? Is it something you can just redo?

The reason I ask is because it sounds like you never actually ever closed Visual Studio during the development of this project. Meaning you never once actually saved it (and maybe you thought it was being saved anyway), but my point is when you go to close Visual Studio, it will ask you if you want to save your work, and if you had said no at that point, your project would have been lost.

So it sounds as though this was something coded in 1 sitting without any closing of VS or reboots, etc..

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com
    • Marked as answer by Martin_Xie Monday, August 30, 2010 7:04 AM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:48 PM

All replies

• By default, Visual Studio does NOT save projects just because they were created - you have to go through Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions and place a checkmark in Save New Projects when Created.

When this option is unchecked and you debug run, Visual Studio still won't save the project the way it saves the project when you hit SAVE - it saves a recovery image which you seem to have found already (this image is used by Visual Studio in case of a legitimate crash, to restore the memory state of the open project; I'm not sure if you can open these recovery images without a legitimate crash while the image is already loaded).

There's an old joke about Jesus and Satan having a contest to find out who's the better computer hacker.  Lightning struck the building and everything went dark, and when the power came back on Jesus opened his project and typed two more characters and won while Satan was screaming and cursing about his lost work.  Finally Satan screamed at God, "You cheated!  You cheated for him!" and God replied, "This has nothing to do with me, bub; Jesus SAVES!"

It never hurts to try. In a worst case scenario, you'll learn from it.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:22 PM
  • VS2008 exist already 2 years, I've seen a lot but not your problem related to visual studio.  

Are you maybe working on a Virtual Computer or something like that.

However, contact your sysadmin, it is an admin question, not a developer question for which is this forum.

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:23 PM
  • By default, Visual Studio does NOT save projects just because they were created - you have to go through Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions and place a checkmark in Save New Projects when Created.

When this option is unchecked and you debug run, Visual Studio still won't save the project the way it saves the project when you hit SAVE - it saves a recovery image which you seem to have found already (this image is used by Visual Studio in case of a legitimate crash, to restore the memory state of the open project; I'm not sure if you can open these recovery images without a legitimate crash while the image is already loaded).

There's an old joke about Jesus and Satan having a contest to find out who's the better computer hacker.  Lightning struck the building and everything went dark, and when the power came back on Jesus opened his project and typed two more characters and won while Satan was screaming and cursing about his lost work.  Finally Satan screamed at God, "You cheated!  You cheated for him!" and God replied, "This has nothing to do with me, bub; Jesus SAVES!"

The joke is hilarious!!  Let me ask you, is there a way to create a crash event and have that Temporary Project file in place?
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:23 PM
  • I don't have any idea, sorry.

MS Office (all applications) does something really similar with open documents (saved or not)... you could do a little research on recovering documents from autosave/recovery files and see if you can apply the same to Visual Studio.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:36 PM
  • How much work was put into this project? Is it something you can just redo?

The reason I ask is because it sounds like you never actually ever closed Visual Studio during the development of this project. Meaning you never once actually saved it (and maybe you thought it was being saved anyway), but my point is when you go to close Visual Studio, it will ask you if you want to save your work, and if you had said no at that point, your project would have been lost.

So it sounds as though this was something coded in 1 sitting without any closing of VS or reboots, etc..

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com
    • Marked as answer by Martin_Xie Monday, August 30, 2010 7:04 AM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:48 PM