locked
MDS Excel Connection doesn't work RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I am trying to connect to the MDS application from excel. The MDS Installation lies in a server and I am trying to connect from a client system. The web browser option works fine and I can open the MDS Site.

    But the excel option doesn't work and the following error is shown:

    The connection failed because the URL is not valid or the Master Data Manager web application version is not supported.

    ------------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

    There was no endpoint listening at http://server/mds/service/service.svc/bhb that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

    Can you please guide me on how to resolve it ?


    • Edited by ganeshsg Thursday, October 12, 2017 12:52 PM
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 12:52 PM

Answers

  • Hi all,

    Finally it works now. Here is the solution:

    I made changes in the web.config file as I am using https and not http. I had to uncomment all the SSL code parts and make changes so that connection works with https.

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/master-data-services/install-windows/secure-a-master-data-manager-web-application

    Explains about it

    • Marked as answer by ganeshsg Friday, October 13, 2017 11:39 AM
    Friday, October 13, 2017 11:38 AM

All replies

  • Here is a thread with issues very similar to what you are facing

    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/4668ec30-f00f-4eaf-8a5e-09d7916905b7/cannot-connect-to-mds-through-my-excel-add-on?forum=sqlmds

    Work through the suggestions firstly :)


    Thanks for reading!
    If you found my answer useful please mark as answered
    David

    Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

    Sorry the thread which you have shared is not the correct solution. It doesn't work although I performed the steps mentioned in the thread. It has been wrongly marked as answer may be.

    I am still looking for a solution to this problem

    Friday, October 13, 2017 9:03 AM
  • Hi all,

    Finally it works now. Here is the solution:

    I made changes in the web.config file as I am using https and not http. I had to uncomment all the SSL code parts and make changes so that connection works with https.

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/master-data-services/install-windows/secure-a-master-data-manager-web-application

    Explains about it

    • Marked as answer by ganeshsg Friday, October 13, 2017 11:39 AM
    Friday, October 13, 2017 11:38 AM