External Component has thrown exception RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have uninstalled and re-installed SQL2014 Express Adv several times and even reinstalled the Windows 10 operating system but I get this error message on installation (about half way through) and also when trying to load SQL Management studio it affects it and Management studio won't work, neither will MS Visual Studio 2010. I have followed the install instructions from MS website (including the system 32 aspect and also installed Service Pack 1 version of MS SQL2014 - as this is the version that supports Windows 10 - but to no avail. I am not a tekky so my knowledge is weak to say the least. Any help or solutions of offer gratefully received!!

Many Thanks

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Freddie,

Based on your description, you fail to install SQL Server 2014 Express on Windows 10. For further analysis, please help to post SQL Server summary.txt and detail.txt log files which locate under %Program files%\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log.

In addition, make sure that your computer does not have installed a debug version of the operating system. Also please ensure that you right-click SQL Server setup file and select “Run as administrator” to start it. You can download SQL Server 2014 SP1 Express edition from below link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46697

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 23, 2015 1:58 AM