none
Ideazon Zmerc Keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• Keyboard Ideazon Zmerc KU-0453.I have the old drivers and the problem is not compatible with Win10 64 bits (no support anymore), I reinstall windows 10 and start working fine but when new update was installed the left side controls (works as a normal letters) is not working properly, works as a shortcut to open app (Letter W(up arrow) now is Internet Explorer). Now there is any way to go back that old windows keyboard driver?, because there is no Roll Back option available and windows Updated the "Ideazon - Input - Ideazon Merc MM USB Human Interface Device"  driver just yesterday.
    Friday, August 11, 2017 2:05 AM

Answers

• 1) In your D:\Program Files\Ideazon\ZEngine copy the Kernel2k directory to preserve an original untampered version.

2) In the Kernel2K dir, rename every file that starts with Alpham or alpham to something else (ex. Alpham1.sys => Merc1.sys).

3) Open the renamed .inf file in a text editor (Notepad++, etc) and do a similar find and replace on "Alpham" replacing with "Merc" (or whatever you used), replace all.

4) Delete merc12.cat (the security catalog file)

5) Install Windows Driver Kit (I can't post links yet, so google Windows Driver Kit and select the first result, click Download the Windows Driver Kit (WDK), then scroll down and click on "3. Install WDK for windows 10, version 1703". You don't need 1. or 2. there) (it's going to give you a number of warnings during install that you won't be able to develop drivers since you don't have an IDE installed. Just OK through them... you're not developing a driver)

6) Add the inf2cat.exe installation directory to your PATH variables (Type path in search and select "Edit environment variables for your account" then select Path in the top window and click edit. Click new then add the directory of your inf2cat.exe file. Mine was in D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86. Hit enter, then OK all open windows.)

7) Generate a new .cat file (open a Command Prompt and type: inf2cat /driver:"path" /os:10_X64, 10_X86 where "path" is the directory of merc.inf. So, for me it was inf2cat /driver:"D:\Program Files\Ideazon\ZEngine\Kernel2k" /os:10_X64, 10_X86)

8) Disable Signed Driver Enforcement (just google it for step-by-step instructions)

9) In Device Manager locate the entries "Ideazon Merc MM USB Human Interface Device" and "Ideazon Merc USB Human Interface Device" (they could be under Keyboards or Human Interface Devices)

10) Right click > update driver > browse computer > Let me pick > Have Disk > Browse > manually select your newly renamed merc.inf. Acknowledge any unsigned driver warnings.

11) Enjoy a working zMerc again!

Saturday, September 23, 2017 11:50 PM

All replies

• I have the exact same problem please help !!!
    Friday, August 11, 2017 8:49 AM
  • I also have the same problem, any assistance would be appreciated.
    Friday, August 11, 2017 6:19 PM
  • Ideazon "Fang" is presenting a similar problem (the "number" keys are suddenly mapped to other keys)...

Friday, August 11, 2017 9:42 PM
  • Same problem here. Running Windows 10 64 bit on my desktop PC and the gaming keys don't function properly (regular keyboard is fine). I tried uninstalling drivers and Z Engine. The keyboard works completely fine on my Windows 7 laptop. Must be the update that messed with it because it worked before on Windows 10.
    Maybe have to buy a new keyboard if it's no longer supported...

Help would be appreciated.
    Monday, August 14, 2017 8:19 PM
  • +1

Thought it was just me.  6+ years with this keyboard....PLEASE don't have ruined it Microsoft!!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 1:11 AM
  • Hi Folks,

I don't have one of these boards but it does sound like as of 2015 the OEM was still supporting them.  Someone posted an answer they received here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/117881-13-zboard-driver-downloads 

FYI, In my search it seems like this keyboard is highly specialized and folks had the same issue with the release of Windows 7 x 64 https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c9775f85-d49c-42d5-8b6c-62a60ec59c89/windows-7-zboard-driver?forum=w7itproappcompat

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:31 AM
  • Thanks for doing some research.

I tried the advice at the linked posts with no luck, maybe I did it wrong. If anyone else has better luck please post here.

Seems that it was primarily for people with windows 7 as it was last updated in 2012. This problem only occurred recently for me on windows 10.

Thursday, August 17, 2017 10:39 PM
  • Had the same problem just after the update too,

- Open Task Manager

-If you find Ideazon Z Engine, kill the process and ignore the next step

- If you don't find it, download and install it from here (https://steelseries.com/downloads) bottom right of the page

- Then go to the install directory (ei. C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon\ZEngine)

- Locate Zboard.exe, right click -> Properties -> Compatibility mode Windows Vista

- Run as admin (not sure if required) and all your keys should now work :)

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:57 PM
  • Thanks for the steps Mazastairs!
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:39 PM
  • What should I do if this method does not work? After updating windows10, the "Engine (Zboard)" program does not detect the connected MERC keyboard with the correct driver installed
    Friday, September 8, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Hi Marvel,

Did you follow the steps above *after* W10 update?  Just having the engine installed is not the issue but more in the rest of the steps regarding compatibility mode.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, September 8, 2017 4:56 PM
  • Yes of course I did all the steps after the update with the launch in compatibility mode does not work. Background, everything worked on the W10 of the previous release but after the upgrade to a later release it stopped working, made a rollback to the previous version and it all worked again. Work on the previous version can be only 30 days and then there is an automatic update. Since I had a SSD 126GB in the upgrade process, I was asked to remove the previous assembly and I agreed, now there is no way to go back to the previous assembly where everything worked. During the reinstallation of the program, the service message "the driver is not compatible" appears periodically, but if you check the device manager, everything is in order.
    Saturday, September 9, 2017 8:29 AM
  • As I stated before, I am afraid I do not have one of these keyboards but potentially you will need to do a full removal and reinstall of the driver at this point? 
    Monday, September 11, 2017 4:56 PM
  • As I stated before, I am afraid I do not have one of these keyboards but potentially you will need to do a full removal and reinstall of the driver at this point? 

Already did, I think it's not in the program but in the driver itself. The program does not find a device compatible with it. The program was reinstalled in various ways, including in compatibility mode with and without reboot. I reinstalled the driver manually. Unsuccessfully.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:46 PM
  • It sounds like you will need to go to the OEM for support at this point or there is an issue with your device.  Any USB insertion *should* generate an ID string that can then be associated with a driver.  If the string is not being presented then likely there is a problem in the firmware or hardware within the keyboard.

P.S. If you are interested, you can see the section on USB negotiation at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Connectors

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:09 PM
  • 1) In your D:\Program Files\Ideazon\ZEngine copy the Kernel2k directory to preserve an original untampered version.

2) In the Kernel2K dir, rename every file that starts with Alpham or alpham to something else (ex. Alpham1.sys => Merc1.sys).

3) Open the renamed .inf file in a text editor (Notepad++, etc) and do a similar find and replace on "Alpham" replacing with "Merc" (or whatever you used), replace all.

4) Delete merc12.cat (the security catalog file)

5) Install Windows Driver Kit (I can't post links yet, so google Windows Driver Kit and select the first result, click Download the Windows Driver Kit (WDK), then scroll down and click on "3. Install WDK for windows 10, version 1703". You don't need 1. or 2. there) (it's going to give you a number of warnings during install that you won't be able to develop drivers since you don't have an IDE installed. Just OK through them... you're not developing a driver)

6) Add the inf2cat.exe installation directory to your PATH variables (Type path in search and select "Edit environment variables for your account" then select Path in the top window and click edit. Click new then add the directory of your inf2cat.exe file. Mine was in D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86. Hit enter, then OK all open windows.)

7) Generate a new .cat file (open a Command Prompt and type: inf2cat /driver:"path" /os:10_X64, 10_X86 where "path" is the directory of merc.inf. So, for me it was inf2cat /driver:"D:\Program Files\Ideazon\ZEngine\Kernel2k" /os:10_X64, 10_X86)

8) Disable Signed Driver Enforcement (just google it for step-by-step instructions)

9) In Device Manager locate the entries "Ideazon Merc MM USB Human Interface Device" and "Ideazon Merc USB Human Interface Device" (they could be under Keyboards or Human Interface Devices)

10) Right click > update driver > browse computer > Let me pick > Have Disk > Browse > manually select your newly renamed merc.inf. Acknowledge any unsigned driver warnings.

11) Enjoy a working zMerc again!

Saturday, September 23, 2017 11:50 PM
  • You sir are 100% correct thank you very much  I did have to modify the /os:10_X64 /os:10_X86  but other than that, perfect.  thank you.   

vr

jyates

• Proposed as answer by jonyat244 Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by jonyat244 Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:19 AM
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 11:25 PM
  • made step by step all the items, the security file was created without problems, but when you try to install the driver, the error "error when trying to add a driver to the vault"
    Friday, October 6, 2017 1:36 PM
  • Hi there, thanks so much for this, I'm stuck here:

inf2cat /driver:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon\ZEngine\Kernel2k" /os:10_X64 10_X86

I've tried that and

inf2cat /driver:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon\ZEngine\Kernel2k" /os:10_X64, 10_X86

I keep getting C:\Users\shipl> inf2cat /driver:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon\ZEngine\Kernel2k" /os:10_X64, 10_X86

'inf2cat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

What am I doing wrong? Since I don't know what any of the things that I'm actually doing mean, I'm copying exactly...

Monday, October 9, 2017 1:02 AM
  • Hi what i had to do was run the inf2cat from the folder location were it installed, did not work from the path, so i opened a command prompt as admin  and navigated to c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86 and ran the inf2cat from there.  Hope that helps.  if not put me an email address here and i'll send you a zip it will be changed to .txt so you'll have to change the extension back to zip for my driver.   
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 12:16 AM
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71YAIw7_-kg   good short video to disable driver signature enforcement   
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 12:36 AM
  • ZathJD
    many thanks ! everything worked
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:39 PM