Azure NPM capabilities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone let me know if we can list out the top talker host with the help of Azure NPM monitoring for express route circuit.  

suhag

• Edited by Suhag Desai Friday, April 19, 2019 12:19 PM found solution for one part of the original post
    Friday, April 19, 2019 12:15 PM

Answers

• For diagram,, it seems data collection for NPM agent is not there for set date range you have put there. This can be validated from log analytics querying.

Before Apr 5, data 2019, and it is suggesting to  cross check in log analytics. So graph it shows of what date range? It must be for the date you have put before fetching report for the same.

For query part you are correct, the output for the servername, it will show you there to validate the data. With querying you can see data is really there or not, as at times, we might put wrong parameters for topology to show data to us, however querying will be correct. Hopefully you got insight on querying part and there you have no mistake. So query is basically used for all RCA(root cause analysis), as it has all data to query and check. So if you don't see data there too, so it means you have not enabled NPM before that date.

Not sure how critical your requirement is, you can open an advisory ticket with MS too, which will give you more insight too. As sharing details from your organization level, will be good from security part.

Santosh Singh

• Marked as answer by Suhag Desai Monday, April 22, 2019 11:56 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 11:23 AM

All replies

• In network test, you always need source details and target details, these are VMS where NPM agents are installed or API will communicate with each other while sending light test data like ping, telnet etc.

In above place you can put target server which you want to be evaluate a test for. Once you save that, you can  go to NPM dashboard once it has enough data to show you between source and target NPM agents. 

Normally people like to see the test in Hybrid mode or one VNet to VNet communication state.

You can check below URL tool: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/blog/expressroute-monitoring-with-network-performance-monitor-npm-is-now-generally-available/

Santosh Singh

Friday, April 19, 2019 12:22 PM
  • Thanks,

Can you let me know if we can list out the top talker host with the help of Azure NPM monitoring for express route circuit.  I want to find out what are the hosts/IP occupying the most bandwidth.

suhag

Friday, April 19, 2019 12:49 PM
  • You will get details for the network where you have installed NPM agent and you want to monitor the express route. So out of these agents once enough data has been collected at log analytics or NPM agent services, you can see the diagram with all details of the most talker\bandwidth\latency or others. Please plan your NPM agents installation to cover the monitoring requirements using NPM. So if you don't configure NPM agents then you might not get data for that part of network.

Santosh Singh

Saturday, April 20, 2019 6:22 AM
  • Thanks Santosh,

I have configured the one MMA agent on each on-prem and Azure. I can see the topology, latency and Bandwidth. However, i am not sure how to pull the report of top talker host.

we have 1 GB of express route and it is being utilized 700 Mbps. I want to know what are the hosts on on-prem / azure utilizing this high bandwidth. 

suhag

Saturday, April 20, 2019 11:27 AM
  • Hi Suhag,

I hope you have configured MMA agent with log analytics details properly as per recommendation and now since you are able to see topology diagram getting loaded so connectivity with agents are appearing good,

Also, when you see diagram of bandwidth, do you see in diagram where is the usage reaching high value from there you should be able to find out.

Another way to find is log analytics based workspace that you have created by querying them.

Below FAQ will give you good path to move ahead:

Below query:

Can we get incoming and outgoing bandwidth information for the ExpressRoute?

Answer + link on:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/insights/network-performance-monitor-faq

Check more on below link for querying and more:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/insights/network-performance-monitor

Check more details on querying:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/log-query/log-query-overview

Santosh Singh

Monday, April 22, 2019 8:02 AM
  • HI Santosh,

I see below on BW usage, However, Bandwidth distribution is not appearing.

From the query, i can pull the data in below table format. Is this the one you are referring ?

suhag

Monday, April 22, 2019 10:02 AM
  • For diagram,, it seems data collection for NPM agent is not there for set date range you have put there. This can be validated from log analytics querying.

Before Apr 5, data 2019, and it is suggesting to  cross check in log analytics. So graph it shows of what date range? It must be for the date you have put before fetching report for the same.

For query part you are correct, the output for the servername, it will show you there to validate the data. With querying you can see data is really there or not, as at times, we might put wrong parameters for topology to show data to us, however querying will be correct. Hopefully you got insight on querying part and there you have no mistake. So query is basically used for all RCA(root cause analysis), as it has all data to query and check. So if you don't see data there too, so it means you have not enabled NPM before that date.

Not sure how critical your requirement is, you can open an advisory ticket with MS too, which will give you more insight too. As sharing details from your organization level, will be good from security part.

Santosh Singh

• Marked as answer by Suhag Desai Monday, April 22, 2019 11:56 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 11:23 AM