none
Registry Key not available in Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• i am using outlook email feature and custom add-ins in my project. To accomplish these task i need to access certain registry keys as mentioned below

(1) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsytem\Profiles\Default Profile

(2) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Options\PickLogonProfile

(3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook

This all working fine for office 2010/2013 versions. Now we configured Office 365 on a fresh machine, but during the registry key access it gets failed.

What i observed Inside registry, (1) (2) does not exist in Office 365 environment. (3) is available with slight changes.

Please let me know what is other alternate registry placees where Microsoft now storing these relevant keys. Somewhere i read that office 365 is now being stored in ntuser.dat now. This might give some one a clue to resolve this issue.

-- Alok Tripathi

Monday, January 4, 2016 11:25 AM

All replies

• Hello Alok,

By default, Office 365 uses the Click2Run mechanism for installing the software on the PC. Take a look at the Verify Whether Outlook Is a Click-to-Run Application on a Computer article for checking whether the Click2Run edition of Office is installed on the machine.

See Outlook 2013 Click To Run and COM Interfaces for more information.

• Proposed as answer by André Santo Monday, January 4, 2016 4:38 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2016 12:41 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your reply, and almost resolve my issue. However I have one more doubt on it.

Earlier i was using logic to check whether particular office version has been installed on a machine by using following reg key(Example for Outlook 2013):

(1)OUTLOOK 2013
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{90150000-001A-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}

But for Office 365  there is no such reg entry, and i was planning to use following reg key to achieve my goal.

(2)OUTLOOK 365
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\InstalledPackages\90160000-001A-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE

However this link helps me to look the following reg key for outlook has been delivered as a Click-to-Run product.

(3)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\InstallRoot\Virtual

If you compare the registry key pattern of(1) with (2) and (3), former has no dependency on version number to identify the outlook, but the later required to supply versionnumber(15.0 or 16.0) to fetch the registry path. If i go with (2)/(3), would that has any known issue (i know the link says to use (3) for the same)? The approach (3) will require to add a fresh lines of code whenever Microsoft releases a new version.

Any suggestion, thanks in advance!

-- Alok Tripathi

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 7:45 AM