Visual Studio 2013 Community has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly (starting first thing this morning), when I open the IDE for VS 2013 Community I get the error message saying it has stopped working. If I click debug, it basically does nothing. The only choice is to close it.

How do I fix this? Was there an update issued last night that causes this?

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi LarryS10,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

The others who has met the similar issue with you solved it by the following solutions:

1. If you don't install visual studio 2013 update 5, please install it.

2. open Visual Studio and disconnect from your Microsoft account

3. Temporary fix: Block app.vssps.visualstudio.com on firewall or add "127.0.0.1 app.vssps.visualstudio.com" to HOSTS file.

4. Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands: devenv.exe  /resetuserdata 

refer: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5d39bf60-45d3-4227-aa14-4437e3dc7c1f/vs2013-express-desktop-has-stopped-working?forum=vssetup

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by LarryS10 Thursday, November 2, 2017 11:46 AM
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:08 AM

All replies

• Hi LarryS10,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

The others who has met the similar issue with you solved it by the following solutions:

1. If you don't install visual studio 2013 update 5, please install it.

2. open Visual Studio and disconnect from your Microsoft account

3. Temporary fix: Block app.vssps.visualstudio.com on firewall or add "127.0.0.1 app.vssps.visualstudio.com" to HOSTS file.

4. Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands: devenv.exe  /resetuserdata 

refer: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5d39bf60-45d3-4227-aa14-4437e3dc7c1f/vs2013-express-desktop-has-stopped-working?forum=vssetup

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by LarryS10 Thursday, November 2, 2017 11:46 AM
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Thanks, Joyce!!

Simply installing VS2013 Community with Update 5 did the trick. I didn't have to do any of the other steps.

Larry

Thursday, November 2, 2017 11:46 AM