Authentication for SharePoint intranet site? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to develop a simple application for Windows Mobile where you can register some simple data in a form and hit a button to save. The idea is that the application is going to connect to a SharePoint intranet server (https://<server>) and call up a native SharePoint web service to save the input data.
    The application will also have a configuration page where the user registers his/her domain username and password. Note that the users that will be using this application will be users of the intranet also, so they do have access :)

Well, this SharePoint intranet is running SSL and what I can't figure out is how to easily authenticate the phone user. I have set up the Web Service Reference in Visual Studio, but of course, I had to log in before this could be completed.

If it's unclear what I want to do:
    - When the user hits the save button the application needs to call a native SharePoint Web Service. To do this, the user needs to authenticate. The idea is that this will work automatically as long as username/password is stored in the mobile application.

Help will be highly appreciated!

UPDATE:
    Here's the code I'm using trying to authenticate the user:

1 IntranettListsWS.Lists listWS = new Skill.Mobile.TravelTracker.IntranettListsWS.Lists();  
    2 listWS.Url = "http://<server>/_vti_bin/Lists.asmx";  
    3 listWS.PreAuthenticate = true;  
    4 listWS.Credentials = new NetworkCredential("user.name""password""domain");  

Of course, the server name, username, password and domain are different (and correct) in my code...

I can't give you the detailed error message, but some parts of it:
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    in System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(String hostNameOrAddress) in System.netServicePoint.resolve() in System.Net.Connection.connect(Object ignored).

Thanks!

Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:23 PM

Answers