Windows IoT supported hardware platforms... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can I know what hardware's or platform's (mainly Intel and AMD) is supported with windows IoT?

Mainly can I install windows IoT on a Dual-core Intel Celeron processor or should I only install windows 10 (not IoT) on that board...

Where in msdn Microsoft defines this support of platforms for different OS's (a link please)

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 3:04 PM

Answers

• The term ‘IoT’ means Internet of Things, and is new in the branding for Windows as of Windows 10.

It sounds like you’re asking about Windows Embedded Standard 7, and Windows Embedded 8 Standard.  Both of those were componentized versions of the full desktop product where you could pick which set of components you wanted in a given image.  Those would pretty much run on any system (x86 / x64) where the desktop version of Windows 7 or 8 would run.  But where the full versions might require 17 or 20 GB of disk space, you might build an image that was only 4 or 6 GB depending upon your needs.

Windows 10 IoT Core is much more a ‘fixed’ configuration where the set of component options will be very limited and its footprint will be between 1 and 2 GB.  It is still the same kernel that will be used in the desktop version of Windows 10, but for example you could not be able to include IE 11 into an image with Windows 10 IoT Core like you could with Windows Embedded Standard 7.  I hope that clarifies things.

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 5:27 PM

All replies

•   At the moment there are only two reference boards that support running Windows 10 Iot Core, the Rasperry Pi 2, and the MinnowBoard Max.  You can see them listed here at this site:

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/GetStarted.htm

With that said, if you are an OEM who wanted to develop your own small form factor device that is based upon an x86 architecture that should be possible.  You would have to work at developing the device drivers needed for that customer board.  The program that for that should become better defined after release however.

If you’re instead asking about what you can run Windows 10 desktop on, the answer is pretty much anything you can run Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 upon today. 

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:19 PM
  • thanks Jon.... last but two questions... if I have windows 8 and 7 embedded OS what I can run... is that IoT or full desktop... what is the exact equivalent as per Microsoft standard on 10...

Is there a link I can download IoT bits now please....?

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 3:07 PM
  • The term ‘IoT’ means Internet of Things, and is new in the branding for Windows as of Windows 10.

It sounds like you’re asking about Windows Embedded Standard 7, and Windows Embedded 8 Standard.  Both of those were componentized versions of the full desktop product where you could pick which set of components you wanted in a given image.  Those would pretty much run on any system (x86 / x64) where the desktop version of Windows 7 or 8 would run.  But where the full versions might require 17 or 20 GB of disk space, you might build an image that was only 4 or 6 GB depending upon your needs.

Windows 10 IoT Core is much more a ‘fixed’ configuration where the set of component options will be very limited and its footprint will be between 1 and 2 GB.  It is still the same kernel that will be used in the desktop version of Windows 10, but for example you could not be able to include IE 11 into an image with Windows 10 IoT Core like you could with Windows Embedded Standard 7.  I hope that clarifies things.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 5:27 PM
  • Hi Jonathan!

Would I be able to install Windows 10 IoT on Intel Stick (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html)?

Thanks

Nick

Monday, August 3, 2015 2:31 AM
  • Hi Nick,

Eventually you might be able to install Windows 10 IoT Core on it, but as of today it’s not a supported device so we don’t have the necessary device drivers available.  With that said, you should be able to install a desktop version of Windows 10 on this device given the specifications it lists today.

I hope that helps,

Monday, August 3, 2015 7:01 PM
  • You are right Jon.

The thing is Windows IoT is free, where the cheap Intel stick comes with not Activated windows.

+ I was using before Windows 8.1 Embedded. Not sure if it possible to lock one app at the system start in Windows 10 Pro. I know we can do it with Assigned Access in the Enterprise.

I know that Windows IoT wont support drivers from Intel Stick. DO you know what would be the steps for me to install it? I will need just to make SD card with image and after in Intel set to boot from SD card?

Monday, August 3, 2015 11:49 PM
  • If you want to use the embedded features like they were available on Windows 8.1 Industry, then you will want to look at Windows 10 Enterprise, as the features should be present there.

Windows 10 IoT Core might eventually support the drivers for the Intel stick, especially if they are universal drivers.  Just today it's not a supported platform, and I don't know when or if it will be made one.  For that reason it'll be better to look at Windows 10 desktop options if you want to use it.

Monday, August 3, 2015 11:53 PM