Maximize size of Custom Splash Screen

Question

• I am working with a Windows 8 Metro application, and I am writing to ask how best to maximize the splash screen to fill up the entire tablet screen;

My custom splash screen is the standard 620 px by 300px, and displays in the middle of the screen - during the brief application start up period;

Thanks in advance for any insight;

Best regards - Rob (robhelle@hotmail.com)

robert hellestrae

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

You can't control the size of the splash screen. It is loaded and shown before your app is running, so you cannot change it by code. You can make it look full screen by matching the splash screen's background color and the app's background color so they merge together.

--Rob

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:50 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Robert,

You can set your app's splash screen background color in the appx manifest. In Visual Studio open the Package.appxmanifest file and the setting is at the bottom of the Application UI tab.

You can also give your splash screen bitmap a transparent background so the background color bleeds through. The default SplashScreen.png created by the Metro style app templates does this.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by rrobhelle Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:12 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:56 PM
    Owner
  • hi robert... i guess u know the answer by now, its been a long time since u asked it... but still, u can change that in the default.html page head section, change the css file to ui-light instead of ui-dark...
    • Edited by soumit mitruka Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by rrobhelle Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:37 PM
  • I also recommend that you make your splash screen logo have a transparent background as this will work properly when "High Contrast" is turned on.

http://www.refractored.com

Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

You can't control the size of the splash screen. It is loaded and shown before your app is running, so you cannot change it by code. You can make it look full screen by matching the splash screen's background color and the app's background color so they merge together.

--Rob

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:50 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for the reply;

How can the Application background color be modified from dark to white?

Best regards;

robert hellestrae

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Hi Robert,

You can set your app's splash screen background color in the appx manifest. In Visual Studio open the Package.appxmanifest file and the setting is at the bottom of the Application UI tab.

You can also give your splash screen bitmap a transparent background so the background color bleeds through. The default SplashScreen.png created by the Metro style app templates does this.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by rrobhelle Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:12 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:56 PM
    Owner
  • hi robert... i guess u know the answer by now, its been a long time since u asked it... but still, u can change that in the default.html page head section, change the css file to ui-light instead of ui-dark...
    • Edited by soumit mitruka Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:37 PM
  • I also recommend that you make your splash screen logo have a transparent background as this will work properly when "High Contrast" is turned on.

http://www.refractored.com

Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:56 AM