none
Column default value settings unexpected error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've tried to adjust 'Column default value settings ' and upon clicking the link in Document Library Settings the familiar error dialog box appears 'An unexpected error has occurred.'

Other libraries in the site collection/ web work, its just some of them. I dont have the option of re-creating them.

Checking the ULS using correlation gives the following:

System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.  
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetWebRelativeUrlFromUrl(String strUrl, Boolean includeQueryString, Boolean canonicalizeUrl)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetFolder(String strUrl)   
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MetaDataNavTree.TreeViewDataBound(Object sender, EventArgs e)   
     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.OnDataBound(EventArgs e)   
     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.HierarchicalDataBoundControl.PerformSelect()   
     at Microsoft.Office.DocumentManagement.MetadataNavigation.MetadataNavigationContext.OnTreeViewLoad(SPTreeView spTreeView)   
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.MetaDataNavTree.PerLocationPageLoad()   
     at Microsoft.Office.DocumentManagement.Pages.ColumnDefaultsPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)   
     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()   
     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) 

Any help with this appreciated.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:22 PM

Answers

• I too have struggled with this issue for ages but have now resolved it.

This seems to happen when you have a library where you have set values for "Column default value settings".  When you then save this library as a template and create a new document library from it, you get the error when you go to"Column default value settings" in the new library.

To fix, if you open the site in SharePoint Designer and go to "All Files".  Browse to the document library with the error and then open up the Forms folder.  In there you will see a file called client_LocationBasedDefaults.html.  

If you open this file in code view, you will see this file appears to contain the settings for the Column Default Settings, but you will see the url is still pointing to the old doc lib url and so hence why it now errors.

I just deleted this file and then it allowed me to re-create the column default settings, but I suppose you could also edit the file but I've not tried that.  Seems odd that it doesn't update these settings when exporting as a template.

Update:  I have now tried editing the file and replaced the incorrect old URL's with the new doc lib URL's.  After this, you can then edit the column default values without getting the error.

• Edited by powderblue Thursday, March 26, 2015 12:27 PM Update added
    • Proposed as answer by MrMellie Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pratik VyasModerator Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:49 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2015 3:58 PM

All replies

• Are there any managed metadata columns in the library? The closest thing I could find to your problem is in this thread.

Danny Jessee MCPD - SharePoint Developer 2010 MCTS - SharePoint 2010, Configuring Blog: http://dannyjessee.com/blog Twitter: @dannyjessee

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Hi

I have 3 columns of managed metadata in all libraries. Lists has been created using a list template.

The 'Policies' libaries seem to be the worst affected as this problem appears in all libraries apart from the library that was sourced to create the template. So you would think that templates is the cause. But then I found 'Procedure' Library which was created from a different template, in this case some libaries work and some dont.

All libraries use the same manages metadata.

Any ideas on this?

UPDATE: I've created a new document template from the working Document Library. After creating the library using this new templat the same problem occurs. So i think the template is being currupted. Can the created libraries be fixed?

Thanks

Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:38 AM
  • Hi

Could anyone assist with this please?

Thanks

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:07 AM
  • same issue for me. i can create the doc libraries one at a time and the 'default column value settings' works just fine (slow and tedious), but as soon as i try to create a new library from that template, i get the error on the new library. so, it seems the template is corrupted. i tried deleting the managed metadata and Enterprise keywords column to see if the 'default column values setting' was restored to the new library. it did not work. please help. NO ONE wants to have to manually create 100's of libraries in different sites that could all use the same template.
    Friday, March 28, 2014 6:08 PM
  • Hi,

Please check the below notes for the reported issues.

Managed Meta data service is up and running on your server.

Have you activated the "Publishing Feature" in your site collection where you trying to add/save as template document libraries for  MMS.

and last

If "Content type hub" has been used to publish the taxonomies across all your farm ensure this site collection has not faced any issue.

Murugesa Pandian.,MCTS|App.Development|Configure

Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:36 AM
  • YES - Managed Meta data service is up and running on your server.

YES - Have you activated the "Publishing Feature" in your site collection where you trying to add/save as template document libraries for  MMS.

and last

If "Content type hub" has been used to publish the taxonomies across all your farm ensure this site collection has not faced any issue.

"Content Type Syndication Hub" has NOT been activated in my "Site Collection Features"

Monday, March 31, 2014 4:23 PM
  • I know this was a while ago, but did anyone ever get a resolution to this?

I find that it happens whenever I create a template that has been created after setting "Column default value settings".

If I create a library with the same columns, don't set any default values, and then create a template from the library, I am able to create new libraries from this template as expected, and can set the column default values for each of the new libraries as expected.

If I create a library, set the default values, then create a template from the library, any libraries that i create using this template I am then unable to modify the column default value settings.

This is very frustrating, as the purpose of me creating the templates was so that users didn't have to set the column default values every time they created a library.

I would be interested to know if anyone has found a solution to this???

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:19 PM
  • I have the same issue. I find your discovery interesting and hope it can lead to a solution. Recreating libraries with many dependancies is not a viable option.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:12 PM
  • I too have struggled with this issue for ages but have now resolved it.

This seems to happen when you have a library where you have set values for "Column default value settings".  When you then save this library as a template and create a new document library from it, you get the error when you go to"Column default value settings" in the new library.

To fix, if you open the site in SharePoint Designer and go to "All Files".  Browse to the document library with the error and then open up the Forms folder.  In there you will see a file called client_LocationBasedDefaults.html.  

If you open this file in code view, you will see this file appears to contain the settings for the Column Default Settings, but you will see the url is still pointing to the old doc lib url and so hence why it now errors.

I just deleted this file and then it allowed me to re-create the column default settings, but I suppose you could also edit the file but I've not tried that.  Seems odd that it doesn't update these settings when exporting as a template.

Update:  I have now tried editing the file and replaced the incorrect old URL's with the new doc lib URL's.  After this, you can then edit the column default values without getting the error.

• Edited by powderblue Thursday, March 26, 2015 12:27 PM Update added
    • Proposed as answer by MrMellie Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pratik VyasModerator Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:49 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2015 3:58 PM
  • Thanks, it solved my problems!
    Wednesday, May 20, 2015 12:42 PM
  • Thanks Powderblue, this was bugging me for ages. We are using Sharepoint Online so the really useful error messages that say go and look in the log are useless as access to the logs is non-existent in the online version.

In our case it was not a templated doc library but a name change to the library done in Designer that caused the issue.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:23 AM
  • So it looks like there is no way to create a document library template with default column values without having to go in and update the client_LocationBasedDefaults.html file each time you create a new document library from the template. That's too bad.

Since this thread is for SharePoint 2010, does anyone know if this has been fixed in 2013?

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:04 PM