none
Best way to track down problems with 3rd party programs RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best way to track down why a 3rd party driver related program crashes in WES 7 64-bit but runs fine in Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit?  The driver installs just fine but the related program which is needed will start for a few seconds and then just crash with a generic error message.  This is the latest driver from the manuafacturer for this video card and is specifically listed for Windows 7 64-bit.

I am installing the program with the distributor's own package after the OS has been built and deployed with ICE.  Once/if I can ever get it running I hope to have it install automatically, but first things first I guess.  I ran a Static Dependency check on the .exe that crashes and only one DLL came up (MSCOREE.DLL) and it exists in the Windows\System32 folder.  It is dependent on .Net 4.0 and I install that manually as well (Client and Extended) before I put in the driver.

Dependency Walker shows that IESHIMS.DLL is missing, but it is there in several locations and I copy it over to the install location for the driver as well with no change.  It also shows that the main program (the one that crashes) is x86 whereas all the supporting files are x64, but again, the same exact setup runs fine under commercial Win 7 64-bit.  I get the same exact DW results under Win 7 where it runs fine as well.

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:32 PM

Answers

• Use the Answer file diff tool to track down the missing package - http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/afdiff - Compare the file answer file to the smaller answer file. There is an example of this in my WES 7 2nd edition book.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:41 PM

All replies

• Are you using a full WES7 image (Application Compatibility) to install the driver? Or a custom one?

Is .NET Framework in the image?

There might be something missing, but first need to test with a full WES 7 image.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:41 PM
  • It is a custom image, and .NET Framework is there.  I'll try with a full WES7 Image.
    Friday, January 18, 2013 6:41 PM
  • Are you using a full WES7 image (Application Compatibility) to install the driver? Or a custom one?

Is .NET Framework in the image?

There might be something missing, but first need to test with a full WES 7 image.

OK it does work with the Application Compatibility build.  So, how do I track down what to put in my custom build?
    Monday, January 21, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Use the Answer file diff tool to track down the missing package - http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/afdiff - Compare the file answer file to the smaller answer file. There is an example of this in my WES 7 2nd edition book.

-Sean

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:41 PM
  • Thanks a lot, that tracked it down.  :0)
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:44 PM