Digital signatures RRS feed

• Question

• Tools > Form options > Digital signatures > enable digital signatures for specific data in the form

I am trying to allow certain sections within the form to be signed.

1. I want to require signing before submission. Any section that contains information must be signed by the person who included the information for auditing purposes.
    2. We have an approval process for this form where data may be changed during the workflow. Is there an easy way for someone within our workflow to edit the field then sign it? I want an obvious way. I know that you can remove the signature than resign it, but I was wondering if there is any other way.

Help would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 12:49 PM

Answers

• It's ok if you make more than one set of conditions when you're checking to see if ANY of the fields are not blank.  Just make each set of 5 so that they say "if <field> is not blank, then XXX"  with OR statements between them.  If any of those 5 are triggered, then the action occurs.  Continue doing that, because if the first 5 don't trigger the action, the rest have the chance to do their check.  You could have 10 sets of 5, and if one of the 50 is met, then the action occurs.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by SP Brian Monday, June 22, 2009 7:15 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:58 PM
  • You put me on the right track, but it was slightly different if you would like to see how it is, then here my explanation.

For this to work, I had to do this:

field1 is not blank
    and
    signatures2 is blank
    or
    field2 is not blank
    and
    signatures2 is blank

Then, create additional rules for the additional fields that are a part of that section, all the while making sure that for each rule "stop processing rules when this rule finishes" is checked, followed by the last rule of submit to main data source.
    • Edited by SP Brian Monday, June 22, 2009 6:20 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:19 PM

All replies

• Any feedback on how I can require that sections in my document be signed before submission to the SharePoint library?

Is there a way that someone in the workflow process can easily edit a section then resign it after they are done editing the information?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:10 PM
    • I have a form that has 5 sections that need to be signed if data has been added to any of the fields within that section.
    • I want to require that all sections be signed if they contain any information.
    • If all sections that contain information are signed, then the form is submitted to a form library.

Here is what I have done so far. I have a submit button that uses custom rules. I have 6 rules with conditions that are like this: intro_section is not blank and signatures2 is blank show dialog box. Stop processing rules when finished is checked. I repeated this, in order, for the other sections in the form that need to be signed if they contain information. All "stop processing rules when finished" are checked. The final rule is "submit to main data connection" with the condition that it always applies.

How do I make this work so that the submit fails if the first 5 rules are not met. Do I have this setup correctly or should I reevaluate how I have begun to do this?

Thanks for any help. I will keep trying.

• Merged by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, June 22, 2009 4:49 PM One of a series of posts on the same thing
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:34 PM
  • It sounds right, but have you tested it to be sure?  Make sure it DOESN'T work before we expend brain power trying to figure out something that already works.  It sounds good as long as the "stop processing rules" works and as long as this is not a browser form.

Monday, June 22, 2009 3:21 PM
  • This is not a browser form. It says the submit is successful, but the document does not appear in the library, so I unchecked the "show success and failure" checkbox so that this dialog is not displayed. Now, if I sign the section that it tells me to and I try to submit it again, it tells me to sign the next section. So far, so good. BUT if one of the unsigned sections does not contain information, there is no need to sign the section, but it still displays the dialog box telling me to sign that section because the section is not signed.

EX:

1st section contains information - signed
    2nd section contains information - signed
    3rd section does not contain information - not signed

Form not submitted to library - still asks for the section to be signed.

There is no need for the section to be signed if the person did not add information to that section.

I think there is a problem in the condition "intro section is not blank". What I want to happen is to check all fields in that section, if none of them contain information, no signing is required, but if any field in the section contains information, then it must be signed.
    • Edited by SP Brian Monday, June 22, 2009 3:34 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:30 PM
  • Ok, we can work on that logic later.  For now, fill in info and sign each section, then submit.  Verify that it submits properly.  Then, we can work out your conditional logic.  I can tell you right now that you can't use "section is not blank," because that does not work when referring to all fields within the section.  You will have to specify each field as not being blank within that section.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:38 PM
  • It submits correctly to the form library when all five sections are signed. As far as logic, I figured that was the problem. I could specify each individual field; however, InfoPath only allows for 5 conditions, and the sections all contain more than 5 fields. Will this require code?
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:49 PM
  • It's ok if you make more than one set of conditions when you're checking to see if ANY of the fields are not blank.  Just make each set of 5 so that they say "if <field> is not blank, then XXX"  with OR statements between them.  If any of those 5 are triggered, then the action occurs.  Continue doing that, because if the first 5 don't trigger the action, the rest have the chance to do their check.  You could have 10 sets of 5, and if one of the 50 is met, then the action occurs.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:58 PM
  • You put me on the right track, but it was slightly different if you would like to see how it is, then here my explanation.

For this to work, I had to do this:

field1 is not blank
    and
    signatures2 is blank
    or
    field2 is not blank
    and
    signatures2 is blank

Then, create additional rules for the additional fields that are a part of that section, all the while making sure that for each rule "stop processing rules when this rule finishes" is checked, followed by the last rule of submit to main data source.
    • Edited by SP Brian Monday, June 22, 2009 6:20 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Yeah, that's what I was talking about.  I just gave the base concept for you to apply to the specific scenario you have.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:09 PM
  • I have a form that has multiple signatures working independtly.  I need to be able to "return" the form that has been digitally signed by Signature 1 if it contains incorrect information.  I see in this post you can "remove a signature, then resign it"  how would I do that????  Help, deadline looms.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 4:38 PM