Access 2003 on a Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• When we go to load one of our databases built with Access 2003, we get a "access can't run, closing application".  I have tried doing a "repair" of Office and this is the msg received below.  While I know Access 2003 is no longer supported, it was working fine until now so need to know what I have to do to load the files in the registry that it is looking for.  Visual FoxPro had not been loaded.

"Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: Visual FoxPro Database.  ODBC error 6: Component not found in the registry.  Verify that the file Visual FoxPro Database exists and tht you can access it."

Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:47 PM

All replies

• What version of Access are you currently working with? 

Is your back-end actually a FoxPro DB?

Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:31 PM
  • So after MANY years of FoxPro being deprecated you still did not migrate to another data source? That's a real shame thinking this will just continue to work while you upgrade system software. Why not FREEZE the system software and (as one of our clients did) stick with 10+ year old software. It has been virtualized and will likely continue to work for decades. Of course this means no system software updates and no Windows updates either. Roll the dice...

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Friday, September 11, 2015 3:31 AM
  • Hi Phil2MTech,

>>Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: Visual FoxPro Database.  ODBC error 6: Component not found in the registry.  Verify that the file Visual FoxPro Database exists and tht you can access it<<

Based on the error message, this issue is not relative to Access. Please check whether the Visual FoxPro Database exists to fix this issue.

If the database exists, please follow the article below to replace the FoxPro ODBC driver with the OLE DB provider for Visual FoxPro since the VFPODBC driver is no longer supported.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/277772

If you still have the issue about FoxPro, I suggest that you reopen a new thread link forum below:
    Visual FoxPro General

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:54 AM
  • The OP stated that foxpro had not been loaded. I am sure he meant it wasn't installed, and isn't used by his application.

I ran into this issue too when attempting to install an Access 2003 db on a windows 2012 server. FoxPro was never involved in the app - somehow windows or Access has it's wires badly crossed to report an error re foxpro.

My exposure to the issue was two years ago. I can't recall what I did to fix it, and don't seem to have a record of it. I eventually gave up on the Access + Windows combination for that particular application, it was a complex and very old school app written by someone else who was not great with Access, no budget to convert, never worked well in windows 2012. That app was a Access 2003 front end and back end.

If I do rediscover what the fix was I'll post it here. The fox issue was solved, so it can be done.

Friday, September 18, 2015 3:20 PM
  • The OP stated that foxpro had not been loaded. I am sure he meant it wasn't installed, and isn't used by his application.

I ran into this issue too when attempting to install an Access 2003 db on a windows 2012 server. FoxPro was never involved in the app - somehow windows or Access has it's wires badly crossed to report an error re foxpro.

My exposure to the issue was two years ago. I can't recall what I did to fix it, and don't seem to have a record of it. I eventually gave up on the Access + Windows combination for that particular application, it was a complex and very old school app written by someone else who was not great with Access, no budget to convert, never worked well in windows 2012. That app was a Access 2003 front end and back end.

If I do rediscover what the fix was I'll post it here. The fox issue was solved, so it can be done.

The OP hasn't bothered to respond to his own thread after many responses from others and a fair amount of time.  In one of these posts he was questioned as to whether or not he was actually using Fox-Pro for the back-end.  Again, he doesn't respond, so we'll just have to assume he found a solution and move on.
    Friday, September 18, 2015 3:49 PM
  • Good if he found a fix. The reason I posted is because it was clear that everyone was misunderstanding what he said about foxpro not being loaded, and I wanted to put it out there that it is possible to run into odd foxpro error messages when fox has never been involved, and also to solve it.

Friday, September 18, 2015 3:53 PM