What other javascript libraries will be used in addition to jQuery Mobile? RRS feed

• Question

• Can the team please provide some information about the javascript frameworks or libraries that will be utilized in the HTML client over and above jQuery Mobile (e.g. Knockout.js, Backbone.js, Upshot.js, etc, etc)?

My reason for asking this is that I have a desktop HTML to do in my next project and knowing which libraries will be used might help steer me in a direction where what I learn using the desktop version might be applicable to the mobile version later on and will help to standardize on architectures and technologies.

thanks in advance

Xander

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Xander,

In addition to jQuery Mobile, we depend on jQuery and datajs for the client data model.  We use a small portion of winjs (the Windows 8 runtime javascript library) for our promise object implementation, though the client does not have a dependency on Windows--the promis object implementation is standalone.

While we don't depend on frameworks such as knockout, backbone, underscore, et al we do anticipate that folks wil want to use them in LightSwitch and there is nothing preventing you from doing so. In specific reference to databinding frameworks (e.g., knockout, backbone), LightSwitch introduces a pretty straightforward API for configuring databindings between our view model and DOM elements. But you could pretty easily wrap our view model in knockout observables, for example, if you'd prefer to use knockout. Ditto for backbone. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.  We're putting together some content in this area, so stay tuned to the blog.

Thanks.

Joe

• Marked as answer by novascape Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Xander,

In addition to jQuery Mobile, we depend on jQuery and datajs for the client data model.  We use a small portion of winjs (the Windows 8 runtime javascript library) for our promise object implementation, though the client does not have a dependency on Windows--the promis object implementation is standalone.

While we don't depend on frameworks such as knockout, backbone, underscore, et al we do anticipate that folks wil want to use them in LightSwitch and there is nothing preventing you from doing so. In specific reference to databinding frameworks (e.g., knockout, backbone), LightSwitch introduces a pretty straightforward API for configuring databindings between our view model and DOM elements. But you could pretty easily wrap our view model in knockout observables, for example, if you'd prefer to use knockout. Ditto for backbone. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.  We're putting together some content in this area, so stay tuned to the blog.

Thanks.

Joe

• Marked as answer by novascape Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:39 AM
  • Thanks Joe, your answer - specifically with regards to the usage of datajs - is most helpful and looking forward to the blog posts. Also looking forward to seeing and learning more about the Lightswitch databinding API.

thanks again

Xander

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:03 AM
  • Does anyone have examples of using this HTML preview with bindings via knockoutjs instead of datajs?
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:00 AM