Getting a Window to a Server Side App RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my situation:

I have created an app that allows multiple users to load any type of file. Image, Video or even open a Powerpoint Presentation. (I can currently show all of these in a picturebox in my app so that's not a problem). and send or stream or whatever is the best way, the File for images and videos or the window that  i'm capturing for office applications to a server side app that will then do the desired processing including sending all connected peoples views back so that all can see what people have happening at any time.

My question is: would anyone know which direction i should go with C# to achieve this?

Let me know if you need anymore info. Thank you in advance. 
    new to .net and c#
    Monday, November 10, 2008 9:34 AM

Answers

• Having a web SERVER does not mean that you would need to have web browsers as your clients. You can have desktop applications that accept drag and drop.

The point is that using HTTP as a standard communication protocol would make your life easier than inventing your own (i.e TCP or UDP).
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:43 AM

All replies

• I've never had anyone reply to any of my questions here. I'm not sure if i'm asking the right questions or if i'm in the right section.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    new to .net and c#
    Monday, November 10, 2008 10:53 AM
  • Hi drevdb,
    I am sad to read that you have seen no answers to your questions.

But the point is, I personally do not understand what you need.

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:20 AM
  • Thank you for responding, i appreciate that.

I'm trying to be directed in the direction of being able to have an write an application that can sit on a server and receive not quite desktop screen grabs in real time but a window be it a powerpoint point or excel or what every the client has opened and has chosen to send to the server app. From here the server app can update multiple client windows to show what each person is sending.

I hope this is more clear. If not please let me know and i'll continue to explain in other directions.

Thank you.
    new to .net and c#
    Monday, November 10, 2008 11:31 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any restrictions on .NET Framework version?

Vitaliy Liptchinsky
    Monday, November 10, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Ok, I see now.
    I think the easiest path to follow would be creating a web server that accepts image file uploads and stores them to the server.
    The clients connect to the web server and check if there are new uploads. If there are, they can view the pictures. The client web browsers can be set to refresh themselves with a timer.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 6:01 PM
  • I believe we'll be using .net2.

Thank you for your suggestion of a web server. I forgot to mention that the client apps also need to be able to select what they open. drag and drop to any of 7 pictureboxes or a control on the same client app. this will then send their content to a server and the server will update all client apps 7 controls to reflect each other or be in sync. the server app will then send the content to any chosen 7 projectors for viewing.

If i use a web control for the client app, i dont think i can use drag and drop, i'm not sure. it certainly is heading in a direction i may be able to work with.

Thank you all again i appreciate it.
    new to .net and c#
    Monday, November 10, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Having a web SERVER does not mean that you would need to have web browsers as your clients. You can have desktop applications that accept drag and drop.

The point is that using HTTP as a standard communication protocol would make your life easier than inventing your own (i.e TCP or UDP).
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:43 AM