none
Software Security issue

Question

• hi guys,i am developing a near-enterprise windows application that should have a very powerfull shield from copy protection, i thought that it might be helpful for me that u guys help me to do the best in this situation by ur openions or some articles that might be helpful .its would be much better if you suggest some tricks or protecting codes beside refrencing to some lisencing appliactions
    thaaaanx
    Friday, February 22, 2008 6:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I think  I have exactlly what you need:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998506.aspx

and also it is straight from microsoft Smile

You have one chapter about security and also other chapters can help you a lot.

And off course there is code, not just text,

cheers !

Friday, February 22, 2008 6:57 AM
  • Greetings Blue Boy,

Software security is indeed the need of the hour. Attackers/ malicious codes often are found to exploit error checking failures and other overlooked buffer issues to break your apps. The C Standards committee has come up with several proposals on use of safe libraries which i deem shall be extremely useful in deveoping a perspective on fundamenatal software security. Keep a look out for the current draft of this technical report at www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14.
    I understand that your basic need is to foster an anti copy shield, but i recommend that you start from the basics. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, so the adage goes. It would be a nice idea to employ Visual Studio 2005 considering the vast resources that you'll have at your disposal, if security is of major concern. The C++ libraries there have gone for a mjor revamp(This upgrade resulted from a complete security review of the functions contained in the C Runtime (CRT) Library, Standard C++ Library (SCL), Active Template Library (ATL) and Microsoft® Foundation Classes (MFC).). For security enhancements in the C RunTime environment, drop in at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8ef0s5kh.aspx for an overview on parameter validations, secure template overloads and function deprecation issues in this platform. A more general article by Martyn Novell (from the Visual Studio Library Development team at Microsoft) can be read at http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/05/SafeCandC/default.aspx (this link is available in the above mentioned link on CLR, along with Howard's blockbuster article "Goodbye to an old friend" on migration issues & fending off future attacks, which has been for some reason removed. Do go through it as well if it becomes available ). Several such similair articles have been dealt with in MSDN magazines as well (if you've suscribed to their online issues, you should know...). As far as references to licensing application goes, I'm lost. These suggestions might seem pretty general, but they are sure to take you in the right direction ! Happy development !

Regards
    Juby
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:28 AM