none
Migration from Azure Table Storage to Cosmos DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

At the moment I am evaluating Azure Table Storage vs Cosmos DB and right now it looks like Table Storage is the best fit (whilst in the development phase).

Whilst watching a video on Pluralsight Learning Azure Cosmos DB by Leonard Lobel mentioned that "In fact, all existing Azure Table Storage Customers will eventually be migrated over to Cosmos DB and the Table API."  The statement can also be found here https://lennilobel.wordpress.com.

My question is - Is there a roadmap or timescales for this migration of existing customers from Table Storage to CosmosDB?  The pricing models are quite different and this would be an important consideration for us now.

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Daren,

This is Rimma from Cosmos DB team. We do not have the ETA for above. Currently customers can migrate themselves (we can share the tools with you). With the wire-protocol compatible Table API on Cosmos DB, customers get "premium tables" equivalent on Cosmos DB today. The equivalent of "standard Table storage" on Cosmos DB is on the roadmap, but no ETA at this point. I hope this helps. If you have further questions, please ping me at rimman AT microsoft DOT com. Thanks.

Friday, June 7, 2019 3:53 AM

All replies

• Currently there are two options available for migrating from Azure Table Storage to Azure Cosmos DB Table API.

1)You can use AzCopy utility to transfer data from Azure Table Storage to Azure Cosmos Database.

2) You can also use the  Azure Cosmos DB Data Migration tool, which is an open source solution that imports data to Azure Cosmos DB from a variety of sources, including: MongoDB, JSON files, SQL Server, etc. Follow the instructions in the article Azure Cosmos DB: Data migration tool on how to download and use the tool.

Note: If you are migrating from a data source that is not listed here to Azure Cosmos DB, please send an email to AskCosmosDB@microsoft.com and the product team will help you with migration. Hope this helps you!

Kindly, let us know if you need any further assistance on this.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 5:09 AM
  • Hi my question is related to any plans for Microsoft to automatically migrate customers from Table Storage to Cosmos DB in the future and when/how this might be (as stated by Leonard Lobel in his Learning Azure Cosmos DB course).

Thanks.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Hi Daren,

This is Rimma from Cosmos DB team. We do not have the ETA for above. Currently customers can migrate themselves (we can share the tools with you). With the wire-protocol compatible Table API on Cosmos DB, customers get "premium tables" equivalent on Cosmos DB today. The equivalent of "standard Table storage" on Cosmos DB is on the roadmap, but no ETA at this point. I hope this helps. If you have further questions, please ping me at rimman AT microsoft DOT com. Thanks.

Friday, June 7, 2019 3:53 AM