none
Display Hidden Text Not Staying checked RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I created some Comments but the bubble is not displaying the whole comment, just the first two lines. When I go to Options>Display and check Hidden Text, when I come back a few minutes later it is not checked.  Is there a way to set this problematically?  VSTO 2005 SE Word Plugin

Friday, July 22, 2011 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Lugalzagesi

<< I created the comments programmatically.  There are 6 lines for each comment, 4 of which are marked as 'hidden'.  When I first open such a document only the first two lines are displayed of each comment.  When I check the 'display hidden text' checkbox word tries to display the comments but still only two lines of each comment are visible.  When I go back to word options > Display the Hidden text box is not checked.>>

From your problem description it still isn't clear whether you're working with Word's built-in Comments, or doing something else. From the term "bubble" I get the impression you are, but it's not clear with "bubble" whether you mean the balloons in the margin of the document or the yellow-shaded pop-up that's displayed when the mouse hovers over a comment.

Please show us the code you're using to create these comments.

Could you please be more precise about "...word tries to display the comments...". Please give us more detail about what happens.

Are there any other add-in installed on the machine where you're seeing this behavior?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Lugalzagesi Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:21 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 12:18 PM

All replies

• Which version of Word are we discussing?

How are Comments and "display hidden text" not staying checked related?

In Word "out-of-the-box" nothing will change the state of options such as whether to display hidden text. Something is wrong, here, but we need more information before we can make a suggestion. So:

Is the option staying checked at all, or is it unchecked again if you immediately go back and look after "OK-ing" your way out of the dialog box?

Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Word 2007.   I created the comments programmatically.  There are 6 lines for each comment, 4 of which are marked as 'hidden'.  When I first open such a document only the first two lines are displayed of each comment.  When I check the 'display hidden text' checkbox word tries to display the comments but still only two lines of each comment are visible.  When I go back to word options > Display the Hidden text box is not checked. 
    Monday, July 25, 2011 8:18 AM
  • Hi Lugalzagesi

<< I created the comments programmatically.  There are 6 lines for each comment, 4 of which are marked as 'hidden'.  When I first open such a document only the first two lines are displayed of each comment.  When I check the 'display hidden text' checkbox word tries to display the comments but still only two lines of each comment are visible.  When I go back to word options > Display the Hidden text box is not checked.>>

From your problem description it still isn't clear whether you're working with Word's built-in Comments, or doing something else. From the term "bubble" I get the impression you are, but it's not clear with "bubble" whether you mean the balloons in the margin of the document or the yellow-shaded pop-up that's displayed when the mouse hovers over a comment.

Please show us the code you're using to create these comments.

Could you please be more precise about "...word tries to display the comments...". Please give us more detail about what happens.

Are there any other add-in installed on the machine where you're seeing this behavior?

• Marked as answer by Lugalzagesi Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:21 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 12:18 PM