none
devenv.exe application error - The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)

Question

• System: Win7 professional 64-bit operating system, Dell XPS-1645

Whe launching Visual Studio 2010 (professional or express) I receive the error "devenv.exe Application Error.  The application was ubale to start correctly (0xC000007B).  I receive the same error when launching an Atmel programming IDE that is based on VS2010.  However the executable that is named in that error is not devenv.exe.

When opening the devenv.exe with Dependency Walker it shows IESHIMS.DLL is not found.  It also shows a long list of DLL files that are 64bit.  It looks like some other folks have got around this problem by copying DLL files to a specific windows directory.

I'm not really sure how to identify and correct exactly what the issue is.  Some additional information.

1.  VS2010 installed earlier this year and has worked fine.  I haven't used it in a couple of months, so I'm not sure exactly when this problem occurred.
    2.  Uninstalls, fresh installs of VS2010 professional and express have not solved the problem.
    3.  Attempted to repair Win7 with my boot/repair disc (created after purchase of the laptop).  Process said there was a problem with system files that it couldn't repair.

Any direction would be helpful.  Thanks.

Friday, September 14, 2012 4:47 PM

Answers

• Found this on another post...

Replacing the dlls mentioned below from a machine that is working solves the problem:

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100.dll
    c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100d.dll
    c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100.dll
    c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100_clr0400.dll
    c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100d.dll

I did it and VS2010 seems to work (launches anyway).  Anybody know what would cause this kind of problem so I don't run into it again?

Friday, September 14, 2012 10:51 PM
  • I imagine corruption of the Visual C++ Framework caused this. Still, the safest thing to do is to repair the framework, since messing with those DLLs might not be a sutiable permanent fix. 
    Friday, September 14, 2012 11:36 PM

All replies

• I ran process monitor.  There seems to be an issue with msvcr100.dll.  How do you determine which version of the file need to be replaced?  And where can the dll be downloaded from?

Friday, September 14, 2012 7:48 PM
  • I am almost sure that is a component of Microsoft Visual C++. Just download Visual C++ again and install it and see if that fixes it. Please don't download it from a DLL website unless you want a rootkit =).

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:10 PM

Replacing the dlls mentioned below from a machine that is working solves the problem:

I did it and VS2010 seems to work (launches anyway).  Anybody know what would cause this kind of problem so I don't run into it again?

Friday, September 14, 2012 10:51 PM
  • I imagine corruption of the Visual C++ Framework caused this. Still, the safest thing to do is to repair the framework, since messing with those DLLs might not be a sutiable permanent fix. 
    Friday, September 14, 2012 11:36 PM
  • I'll give that a shot.  Thanks.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:29 PM

What if I have no machine working? I only have my PC...from where and which files to get? Can you please share a working ZIP file with those files??

So annoying problem

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, September 09, 2014 4:38 PM