none
using Microsoft Office 2007 spreadsheet 12.0 COM component in Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm unable to find Microsoft Office spreadsheet 12.0 COM component/control in Visual studio COM components tab of ToolBox.

And also i couldn't able to use/find 'OWC12.dll' in order to add the same in Toolbox control items.

Since I'm able to see something called 'owc11.dll' of 'Microsoft Office spreadsheet 11.0' in Toolbox COM components items tab.

But i need the latest COM component related to spreadsheet of Office2007 in my Visual Studio 2008 WinApp project.

In case if not available of 12.0 component then please tell me how to add an excel 2007 spreadsheet as a control in Visual Studio2008/2010 Windows Application project.

Please provide me detailed explanation and process of adding the same with code .

-Venkat

• Moved by Cindy Meister MVPModerator Friday, January 28, 2011 8:22 AM not VSTO-related (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    • Edited by Bhagavathula Friday, January 28, 2011 8:50 AM modified
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Venkat

The last set of Office Web Components was that made available with Office 2003. See this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972129

The decision was made for Office 2007 (and later) that the availability of Office applications for developers to embed/use in their own applications is going to be more restricted. The trend is to make Office features available to Internet users via the web apps (introduced in Office 2010), not via third-party applications.

Office 2007 applications can still be embedded in Web Browser controls, but you will not be able to turn off the "Ribbon" (menu) section. It will still be recognizable as that Microsoft Office application.

If that doesn't meet your requirements, I'm afraid you'll have to invest in a third-party tool with a distributable license.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:12 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Venkat

The last set of Office Web Components was that made available with Office 2003. See this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972129

The decision was made for Office 2007 (and later) that the availability of Office applications for developers to embed/use in their own applications is going to be more restricted. The trend is to make Office features available to Internet users via the web apps (introduced in Office 2010), not via third-party applications.

Office 2007 applications can still be embedded in Web Browser controls, but you will not be able to turn off the "Ribbon" (menu) section. It will still be recognizable as that Microsoft Office application.

If that doesn't meet your requirements, I'm afraid you'll have to invest in a third-party tool with a distributable license.

• Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:12 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:31 AM
  • How can i add a spreadsheet of Office 2010 as a normal control  or as a Component in Visual Studio.NET Toolbox and further drag-n-drop on Windows Form application?
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:54 AM
  • You can't.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 9:58 PM
  • I am using windows7, VS2008, office web components 2003 & the Microsoft Office 14.0 Object Library (office 2010) with a desktop applicaiton. I am trying to get a "office spreadsheet 11.0" working on a windows form.

It appears that we can add an office spreadsheet 11.0 component into a windows form. However, it throws the following runtime error

Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))

Re-installing the web components 2003 does not work.

Any Ideas?

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:22 AM