External Component has thrown an exception RRS feed

• Question

• I have been building a web project successfully for a long time, but today it is giving me External Component has thrown an exception and will not build.

A colleague has got the same code and built it on his machine successfully.

I have tried:

restarting IIS prior to getting latest code - with get specific version/Latest Version & Overwrite writeable files & Force

restarted laptop

deleted workspace and created it again

here is the last bit of the build output...

Done building target "Build" in project "API.vbproj".

Done building project "API.vbproj".

Build succeeded.

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.98
    ------ Build started: Project: http://localhost/eYou/Payroll/, Configuration: Debug .NET ------
    Validating Web Site
    Building directory '/eYou/Payroll/Absence/'.
    Building directory '/eYou/Payroll/MasterPages/'.
    Building directory '/eYou/Payroll/UserControls/Absence/'.
    Building directory '/eYou/Payroll/UserControls/Common/'.
    (0): Build (web): External component has thrown an exception.
    (0): Build (web): External component has thrown an exception.

Monday, May 18, 2015 2:45 PM

Answers

• Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier.

I am using TFS 2010 and had been trying to build by right-clicking the solution and selecting Build Solution (or Rebuild Solution, or Clean Solution and then Build Solution, or clutching at straws and crossing fingers and then selecting Build). : )

I tried a Windows System Restore to a point a few days earlier and when that had completed then the next time I opened the solution in Visual Studio it stated something like - "new projects have been added to the solution" (not the case) - and "would you like to download them" - which I did.

Then the solution built successfully.

I have not had the opportunity to reapply any Windows Updates (it is not even clear to me that there had been any) to confirm whether this was the cause of the issue, but as it is working just now, that will do for me at present.

Friday, May 22, 2015 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Norry,  

Thanks for your post.

What’s the version of your TFS?

This issue happened in your TFS Build? If yes, please try to manually build your web solution on build agent machine using VS or MSBuild command, ensure the web solution can be built successfully.

If you can manually build your web solution successfully on build agent machine. In your build definition, set Clean Workspace = All, then queue build definition and check result again.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:31 AM
  • Hi Norry,

Have you confirmed that? 

If there’s anything misunderstood, please describe your question in more detail and we will try to provide the better responses.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:29 AM
  • Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier.

I am using TFS 2010 and had been trying to build by right-clicking the solution and selecting Build Solution (or Rebuild Solution, or Clean Solution and then Build Solution, or clutching at straws and crossing fingers and then selecting Build). : )

I tried a Windows System Restore to a point a few days earlier and when that had completed then the next time I opened the solution in Visual Studio it stated something like - "new projects have been added to the solution" (not the case) - and "would you like to download them" - which I did.

Then the solution built successfully.

I have not had the opportunity to reapply any Windows Updates (it is not even clear to me that there had been any) to confirm whether this was the cause of the issue, but as it is working just now, that will do for me at present.

Friday, May 22, 2015 10:42 AM