OCIEnvCreate failed with return code -1 but error message text was not available. RRS feed

• Question

• User-1893379617 posted

Hi,

I have installed Oracle - OraClient11g_home1 in my local system(windows 7, 32 bit configuration) and Toad for oracle also installed(Toad for Oracle 11.5).

Now my situation is-

I have installed SQL Server reporting services(SSRS) 2012 and while creating connection i am getting this error. can any body help me, why i m getting this error.

Error is-

OCIEnvCreate failed with return code -1 but error message text was not available.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:27 AM

All replies

• User269602965 posted

Show connection code so we know better how you are doing this

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:14 PM
  • User-1893379617 posted

Hi,

I am describing from starting.

I want to create Datasource for SSRS. For that i  right clicks on shared datasource and it displayed shared datasource properties  window. In that i selected Type as Oracle from dropdown . Then clicked on Edit button,it appeared another window(i.e, connection properties window). In this connection properties window , i selected Datasource as Oracle(Oracle Client) , server Name: xxxxxx, User Name: xxxxx, Password: xxxxx. Then i clicked on Test connection button. after clicking on this button, it throwing me error---

OCIEnvCreate failed with return code -1 but error message text was not available. 

NOTE: I am using oracle client 11g and SSRS 2012

Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:48 AM
  • User269602965 posted

Back up one step.

You installed the Oracle Client on the report server.

Open the SQLPLUS command line and connect to the database instance and schema that has your report data.

SQL>connect {schema}/{password}@{database instance name}

If you can do that, then your tnsnames.ora is properly configured and there are no other issues like firewall blocking the Oracle listening port, etc.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:57 PM
  • User-1893379617 posted

Hi,

I was trying to connect using command promt. while opeing SQLPLUS command promt, it was asked UserName and Password . After entered username and password,its throwing error message-- i.e 

ERROR:

ORA-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error 

What to do now ? can you suggest me . 

Friday, September 12, 2014 10:12 AM
  • User269602965 posted

Well we know part of the problem.

You cannot connect to the database.

Is the database on the same machine as the report application and client?

Or is it on a different machine?

In the client home directory > NETWORK > ADMIN folder,

the tnsnames.ora file must be properly configured to point to the database server by name or IP address and provide the name of the database instance (called the  SID)

SQL > prompt

SQL> type in this

SQL> CONNECT {schemaname}/{schemapassword}@{databaseinstancename_the_SID_from_Tnsnames,ora}

SQL> CONNECT Mydata/MyPassword@MyOracleDDB_SID

To connect to an Oracle database you need to know the database host name or IP address, the Oracle listening port (default is 1521), and the name of the Oracle database instance also called the SID.

If the database is remote on another server, you will need to make sure there is no software or hardware firewalls in between blocking traffic.

Friday, September 12, 2014 11:27 AM
  • User-77341795 posted

Hi, I was getting same error when I was trying to create SSRS datasource (SQL RS 2012) to Oracle database. And in my case I found that there were two instances of Oracle client installed on SSRS (SQL Reporting Service) server i.e. 

1st Installation (main) at C:\Oracle\*

2nd Installation at C:\Program Files\Oracle*

I resolved this error by uninstalling 2nd Oracle client installation using Oracle Universal Installer utility on SSRS server. I believe when SSRS trying to look for TNSNAMES.ORA file it was not able to refer due to two set of Oracle client.

Thanks,

Ash

Friday, May 31, 2019 2:40 AM