What exactly does _VC80_UPGRADE=0x0600 do RRS feed

• Question

• the symbol is defined when a project is upgraded from vc6 to the current version of vs. however, it doesn't look like it's used in any of the crt/atmfc headers. _but_ i does change the compilers behaviour. for example, in a project that was simply upgraded from vc6 to the current version, with the following line:

DWORD dw = CTime.GetTime();

the compiler will NOT emit a warning about a conversion from _time64_t to DWORD. When the project is not converted, but the code simply gets compiled in a "new" project, the compiler will emit that warning.

so the questions are:

- how do i get the same behaviour in a new project (unfortunately the _USE_32BIT_TIME_T doesn't seem to do anything incase of mfc.) [or do i simply need to turn this warning off ?]
    - what else is _VC_UPGRADE... doing? this doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

WM_THX
    -thomas woelfer

http://www.die.de/blog
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hello

Could you please undefine _VC80_UPGRADE in your ugraded project, rebuild (do not just build) the project, and see whether the warning appears? This can determine whether _VC80_UPGRADE  is related to the warning. 

_VC80_UPGRADE is used by VC headers only in two places:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC>strings -s |findstr /i _VC80_UPGRADE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\include\afxres.h
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\ce\atlmfc\include\afxres.h

#if defined(_VC80_UPGRADE) && (_VC80_UPGRADE >= 0x0700) && (_VC80_UPGRADE < 0x0800) && defined(IDR_MANIFEST)
      // Handle project upgrade from VC7/VC7.1 for projects with manifest
      #define IDR_MANIFEST 1024
     #endif

It indicates that _VC80_UPGRADE is used to adjust the definition of IDR_MANIFEST. It make sure that your old project's manifest doesn't clash with the manifest that our tools now insert automatically.
    Regards,
    Jialiang Ge
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by thomas_woelfer Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:26 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:09 AM