Visual Studio Graphics Diagnostics

Question

• I'm writing a native C++ DirectX11.1 application for Metro.  While under prev. versions of windows, I would use PIX to find and correct errors with my rendering systems.  I have found documentation that indicated that PIX for windows was merged into VS2011 and called "Visual Studio Graphics Diagnostics", but I cannot find it anywhere in Visual Studio Beta Express for Windows 8 (Version 11.0.51214.1 BETAREL).  The documentation refers to a toolbar that I do not have.

Is there something else that I must install?

Is there a way to install and use the old PIX for windows for Metro Apps?

Thanks
    John

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:33 PM

Answers

• You likely need a SKU higher than "Express". You can try the VS 11 Beta Pro, Premium, or Ultimate SKUs and they all support Metro as well as Win32 desktop development.

The legacy PIX for Windows tool in the DirectX SDK does not support DirectX 11.1 or Metro style apps.

• Marked as answer by Johnseph Tuesday, April 03, 2012 10:05 PM
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:13 PM

All replies

• You likely need a SKU higher than "Express". You can try the VS 11 Beta Pro, Premium, or Ultimate SKUs and they all support Metro as well as Win32 desktop development.

The legacy PIX for Windows tool in the DirectX SDK does not support DirectX 11.1 or Metro style apps.

• Marked as answer by Johnseph Tuesday, April 03, 2012 10:05 PM
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Do those versions support window 8 metro development?  I was under the impression that you had to use  VS2011 Extra Beta for Windows 8 (its the one linked to here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516)

I have searched around some, and can find the other betas, but I wanted to be sure that these would work.

Thanks again.

• Edited by Johnseph Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:51 PM Typo
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:35 PM
  • I have been informed that they will work.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 10:05 PM