ASP to pass query string data to SQL works on one but not on another server RRS feed

• Question

• User181119566 posted

The same ASP works on one server but not another. What are the settings that may cause this? SERVER_SOFTWARE shows Microsoft-IIS/8.5 on the one that does not work, while the working one is 7.5.

THANKS, 

Friday, May 5, 2017 7:03 PM

All replies

• User-460007017 posted

Hi wfz,

Did you get any error message with your classic asp? the incorrect string and the different authentication configuration with database on the different server all could cause this issue.

So if we need to fix this, either IIS error message or sql database error message could be necessary. Besides, please check if you have installed the connection string and ASP feature in turn windows features on or off. Even the different  application pool identity, permission issue or authentication could cause this issue. You could go to IIS manager->site node->ASP->send error to browser to show the error message.

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Monday, May 8, 2017 6:28 AM
  • User181119566 posted

Thank you for the pointer, Yuk. Usually if there is a SQL error, browser page shows the error and the line it has problem. I didn't see any of that. I checked MS SQL and can see the entries from one but not the other.

I don't have access to the IIS and there are a lot red tapes (submission of ticket) to reach the right person. Do you happen to know the exact setting on authentication with SQL? Then I can include the areas they can check so it's easier for them to work on.

Thanks!

Monday, May 8, 2017 1:15 PM
  • User-460007017 posted

Hi wfz,

Have you checked whether the sql server could be connected via your connection string in classic asp page?

If you can't pass the query string to MS SQL server, you have to check the connection string first, Now that sql server doesn't have any log entry, it seems that the application even doesn't work with sql server.

Secondly, please check whether you have enabled the ASP in turn windows features on or off ->internet information service->world wide web services->application development features ASP.

If sql server could be connected correctly and IIS has installed ASP feature, then T-sql could works correctly.

Maybe you could just enable 32-bit application in application pool advanced setting.

Do you happen to know the exact setting on authentication with SQL?

It depend on your connection string. sql server support the embedded login authentication or windows integrated authentication, both of them require you to bind login with user identity.

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:34 AM
  • User-1122936508 posted

What do you mean by "it does not work?"

If there's no error shown on screen, then does your code surpress error handling (On Error Resume Next?) If not, then I would suggest that there might be some conditional code in your page that is bypassing the SQL inserts or similar.

Have you tried instrumenting your code (i.e. including some kind of debug output) so you can see which parts of the code are executing, and which aren't?

Friday, May 19, 2017 1:40 AM