connect to paradox database in ASP.NET:Got unexpected error for external database driver (11265) RRS feed

• Question

• User-1497429768 posted

Hi! The platform is windows server 2008. The folllowing is my code.

Dim ConnectionString As String = "Driver={Microsoft Paradox Driver (*.db )};DriverID=538;Fil=Paradox 5.X;DefaultDir=" & Path & ";Dbq=" & Path & ";CollatingSequence=ASCII;"
    Dim odbcConnection As New OdbcConnection()
    odbcConnection.ConnectionString = ConnectionString
    Dim str1 As String = ""
    str1 = "select * from Customer "
    Dim command As New OdbcCommand(str1, odbcConnection)
    odbcConnection.Open()

The last line odbcConnection.Open() show error message "Got unexpected error for externam database driver (11265)"

But when I change the platform to windows server 2003,and it work fine.so ,anyone have any idea?Thanks..

Saturday, January 11, 2014 3:35 AM

All replies

• User269602965 posted

WIndows 2008 platform.  32-bit or 64-bit installation??

Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:36 PM
  • User-1497429768 posted

it's 64-bit for Windos 2008. Thank you for your help.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:34 PM
  • User269602965 posted

Since paradox is shall we say a legacy type database,

I believe you will find some Microsoft KBs about paradox failing to operate correctly on more modern OS like Win 2008, Win 7

related to:

privileges on folder and registry entries,

registry errors caused by installation of MS Access

and

even the issue of paradox might be installed in "programs files x86" folder as 32-bit program

but paradox is not aware of the 64-bit environment changes to program locations, expecting the old program files folder.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:10 PM
  • User-1497429768 posted

I am so appreciated for your reply.would you explain - expecting the old program files folder.what do you mean? or you mean paradox can't work in win 2008? Thanks again.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:28 PM
  • User269602965 posted

In the 32-bit world, 32-bit programs are installed in C:/PROGRAM FILES folder

but in 64-bit world, 32-bit programs are installed in C:/PROGRAM FILES x86 folder

some older programs thnk the program is installed in C:/PROGRAM FILES not knowing about the new location for 32-bit programs in a 64-bit world.

I have encountered this before as an issue when migrating to 64-bit.

But with Paradox and more modern os like Windows 2008 and Windows 7, Micrrosoft KnowledgeBase (KB) has some articles explaining

how folder, registry, etc, must be modified to get paradox to work properly.

GOOGLE:  PARADOX FAILS WINDOWS 2008

+++++++++++++++

Have you considered migrating the data out of Paradox into something like MS SQL EXPRESS to remove some legacy integration issues?

MS SQL EXpress is free and you can store up to 10 gig of data... beating out the limitations of office based MS Access database.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/editions/2012-editions/express.aspx

In MS SQL Express you will find more users on this forum who can help you integrate into applications running on Windows Forms, WPF, ASP.NET, etc.

And more code examples and hellp articles on line.

Monday, January 13, 2014 8:39 PM