locked
Problem with Excel pivot table accessing SSAS cube RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello everyone,

    I have an SSAS 2008 R2 cube that I have created and is refreshing daily.  Recently I created an excel 2010 spreadsheet with a pivot table (not powerpivot) and slicers to go against the SSAS cube then distributed it to my end users.  Now initially the excel sheet/pivot table worked, one of the end users had no problem hitting "refresh" in the data menu to update all the data.  But now some end users are running into the following error:

    Data could not be retrieved from the external data source.
    Error message returned by the external data source:
    
    The Sales cube either does not exist or has not been processed.

    Now I went into the SSAS project and verified that I can access the data through the cube browser.  I also verified data access on my own machine though through that same Excel sheet/pivot table as it refreshed data with no issue.  Connection configuration is the same, authentication setting is set to use windows logins.  It sounds like some kind of cube visibility issue for the end users and I'm stumped.  Has anyone else run into something like this?

    Thanks,

    Glen

    Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:50 PM

Answers

  • Check if those users who are having issues has access to the cubes.

    Goto Roles and check if these users are member of any of the existing roles which have access.


    Karthik

    • Marked as answer by Glen Park Friday, July 13, 2012 11:16 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 3:50 AM
  • Based on the error message, it looks like it is a connection issue. Have you verified Connection properties of the user that is having the issue?

    If you have admin access, you could simulate the problem user credentials when browsing the cube in SSMS, by selecting Change User on the top left of the browse cube.

    • Marked as answer by Glen Park Friday, July 13, 2012 11:15 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 9:04 PM

All replies

  • Check if those users who are having issues has access to the cubes.

    Goto Roles and check if these users are member of any of the existing roles which have access.


    Karthik

    • Marked as answer by Glen Park Friday, July 13, 2012 11:16 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 3:50 AM
  • Yes they have access.  I have verified that their windows logins are members of the role assigned.  Interestingly, one of the other end users has no problem accessing the cube but the others do.  It's really strange.
    Friday, July 13, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Based on the error message, it looks like it is a connection issue. Have you verified Connection properties of the user that is having the issue?

    If you have admin access, you could simulate the problem user credentials when browsing the cube in SSMS, by selecting Change User on the top left of the browse cube.

    • Marked as answer by Glen Park Friday, July 13, 2012 11:15 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Hi Cit Sun,

    Thanks for the reply.  Yes it looks like a connection issue of some sort.  When I changed the user to one of the end users having problems, I get a message that says:

    The cube cannot be browsed. Verify that the cube has been deployed and processed.

    I found out that the role I defined did not have read permissions set up on the cube for the members designated to it.  Thanks for the help everyone!

    Glen

    Friday, July 13, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Hi, Do you have translations in the Cube? Did you deploy it recently?

    We have the same error when the client excel is in one of the translated language, for example German. Same error occurs, change the Excel language to the basic language of the cube Elements, for example English, restart Excel and it works.

    Also if you have Excel in on of the tranlated laguage you can test it: try to create a pivot table on the cube, the connection can be create and established but no pivot table is added, Excel just do nothing :-(

    We are looking for a solutio  for this, if someone has one it would be nice. For the moment the only workaround we found is: delete the translation and recreate it, afterwards it works again till the next deployment.

    Thursday, August 23, 2018 6:16 AM