none
Can Azure Blob storage be presented to a Windows host as "mapped drive" or an iSCSI target (for backup storage)?

Question

• I am looking for an in expensive way to have my VM backups (processed by Veeam) be pushed to cloud storage for offsite backup.  I have between 58 VMs, all totaling no more than 250GB space (thin provisioned).

I have the luxury of not having a requirement where my VM backups don't have to be "instantly" recoverable, so I can pull down a backup from the cloud over an hour, if necessary, before restoring. 

Is it possible to present an Azure blob storage instance as a "disk" to a Windows host (Server 2012R2 or Windows 10), so that it becomes the 'target drive' for my backups?  Or can an Azure instance be iSCSI mounted to a Windows host, for block backups, rather than at the file level?

Monday, June 13, 2016 11:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

If you want to move on-premises data to Azure Storage (or vice versa), there are a variety of ways to do this. The approach that works best for you will depend on your scenario.

I would like suggest you to create one storage account in azure, and then you can transfer your data to azure by using Azcopy.

To create azure storage account, refer below link:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-create-storage-account/#create-a-storage-account

To know about azure storage pricing refer below link;

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/storage/

AzCopy is a Windows command-line utility designed for copying data to and from Microsoft Azure Blob, File, and Table storage using simple commands with optimal performance. You can copy data from one object to another within your storage account, or between storage accounts.

See Transfer data with the AzCopy Command-Line Utility to learn more.

If you simply need to backup your data to Azure Storage, Azure Backup is the way to go. This is a powerful solution for backing up on-premises data and Azure VMs.

See Azure Backup to learn more.

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful. 

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

The answer to your first question is "No." You can't treat Blob storage as a disk and mount it.

However, you can create an Azure File Share and mount it. You can access this using SMB 3.0 from your on-premises machines, assuming you have port 445 opened. You can store up to 5 TB on each file share, and in total can store up to 500 TB in Azure Storage (so about 100 file shares). You can access the files using SMB 3.0 or, with the use of a shared access signature, can access the files using the URL to the file on the file share.

For more information, check out this article:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files

Robin

Sr. Content Developer at Microsoft

Thursday, June 30, 2016 10:56 PM