Possible to have one database in US and one in Europe? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have 2 simple Windows Azure applications that connect to a database in SQL Azure North europe. Now I want one of the Win Azure Apps to connect to a copy of the Sql Azure North Europe DB - But this copy DB I want to place in US. Is this possible?

I'm trying to do it, but when I create a a database now it's automatically placed in Server location North Europe with my other db. Do I need an own seperate project maybe?

Mcad
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:56 AM

Answers

• Ok, it looks like currently, you need to do this using multiple SQL Azure projects. I'm not 100% certain, but it appears that currently this would require multiple SQL Azure subscriptions. All databases contained with the "server" (which represents your project/subscription) are bound to the datacenter the parent "server" lives in.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:31 PM

All replies

• Its definately doable. I'll try to poke around at the portal and verify what needs to be done.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:38 AM
  • When I try to create a SQL Azure Server on the portal I am given a choice of 6 locations. A database created on that Server will be in the same geographic region as the Server.  If you want databases in different locations it looks like you need to create a Server in each location and then create a database on each Server.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:21 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok, it looks like currently, you need to do this using multiple SQL Azure projects. I'm not 100% certain, but it appears that currently this would require multiple SQL Azure subscriptions. All databases contained with the "server" (which represents your project/subscription) are bound to the datacenter the parent "server" lives in.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:31 PM
  • That's correct - one Azure subscription (or project, as they're called) has one SQL Azure server, which has one location.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:42 PM