Cannot connect to Sybase ASA 12 from SSMA v5.2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I am unable to connect to my Sybase ASA server via SSMA v5.2.  I've attempted using the ODBC (Standard and Advanced) as well as the ADO.NET providers (Advanced).  However, I am able to connect to the same server via Visual Studio and Sybase Central.  I continue to receive "invalid port number" errors.  This may sound simple but again, it only occurs in SSMA.

provider=iAnywhere.Data.SQLAnywhere;UserID=@@@;Password=@@@;DatabaseName=@@@;ServerName=@@@;CommLinks=TCPIP(Host=@@@:@@@)

Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

It may be a firewall issue. Disable any firewall temporarily and try again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Hi Newbie_You,

After checking the connection string, I found there is no port number configured. Please refer to the following document to configure the port number. Additionally, during the configuration process, we can select Standard mode (which configures Server name, Server port, User name and password one by one) rather than providing the connection string manually.

Connecting to Sybase ASE (SybaseToSQL)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh302811.aspx

Allen Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 21, 2013 7:09 AM
  • Thanks Alberto - There are no firewalls as I can access the ASA server using other tools e.g. Visual Studio, Sybase Central and by creating a ODBC DSN x64bit.  I am unable to access the server via SSMA for Sybase.  I've tried every method.
    Monday, January 21, 2013 9:55 PM
  • Hello Allen - I am using the port number in the actual connection string.  I merely replaced the sensitive data with @@@ when posting in the forum.
    Monday, January 21, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Hello Alberto - I also confirmed with our network engineers that there are no firewalls blocking. 

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Latest Update - I receive the following error when I attempt a standard ODBC connection via SSMA:

ERROR [08S01] [Sybase][ODBC Driver]Bad TDS response stream received from server. Unexpected end of response during login negotiation.
    ERROR [01S00] [Sybase][ODBC Driver]Could not load code page for requested charset

When attempting a ADO.NET connection string:

Unable to find ADO .Net Provider files - 'Sybase.AdoNet2.AseClient.dll' or 'Sybase.Data.AseClient.dll'.
    You can install them from Sybase product media or download it from Sybase web site.

I confirmed that the .dll files are installed.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:53 PM
  • This error with the bad TDS and the codepage means that the program does not have the SYBASE environment variable defined (e.g. SYBASE=C:\Sybase). Just make sure the environment variable is defined and it will work.
    Sunday, April 17, 2016 1:34 PM