VB.Net Application and Anti Virus Programs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just created a Windows Forms application with visual basic. 

F-Secure was installed as anti-virus program and generated an alert about this vb application (test.exe). On a different computer, where Windows default Defender is installed, I am not getting any alerts by default (as was with F-Secure). But when I perform an offline scan with Windows Defender, this test.exe was listed in Defender summary report anyhow.

Is there a way to compile this application that anti-virus programs do not bother about this? Or what should be the best way, I am blank here ... however, I don't need any installers, I am just running application at run time as administrator.

Friday, October 9, 2020 9:57 AM

All replies

• I've never heard of F-Secure, but I've posted plenty of times that "fringe AVS products" generate false positives more than true ones.

If you run Windows Defender in "offline" mode then it can't access online databases.  One of the best things about Windows Defender is the option to "submit unrecognized applications."  I imagine that if it can't submit what it doesn't recognize, then it will just issue a warning that something on your HDD was unrecognizable to the most recently updated local DB of malware definitions.

What's the exact/actual warning you get from either of these?  Does either one specifically ID a suspected malware or malware type?

Before you can learn anything new you have to learn that there's stuff you don't know.

Friday, October 9, 2020 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

No special message or malware, but warning message(s) that potential harmful file(s) found.

Friday, October 9, 2020 2:55 PM
  • Well, if Windows Defender doesn't show a warning when you're connecting to the internet and does when you're offline, then what's happening is a team of programmers and reverse engineers at MS is probably reviewing the MSIL (DotNET Compiled) program to see if it's a threat.  You can open a specific case asking for the program to be whitelisted, but since it's a testing app I wouldn't worry about it at all.  Save that for real projects you plan to deploy en masse.  You can also locally whitelist your project, your whole development directory (assuming you store all your Projects in one place), or the whole HDD you store development projects on with Win Defender.

Probably just kick F-Secure to the curb. 

Norton/Symantec and McAfee are the only AV products I consider mainstream after 25 years in IT, and Windows Defender works a lot better... I already mentioned that it will check out and automatically submit unrecognized software signatures for evaluation, but in "Real Time Scanning" mode it makes much better use of CPU Idle Time timeslices where the other ones love to glut themselves on active CPU Cycles.  And Win Defender is free.  Kind of a no-brainer IMO.

Before you can learn anything new you have to learn that there's stuff you don't know.

Friday, October 9, 2020 3:15 PM
  • When using high quality virus protection programs they will have options to ignore specific folders and or specific files. If F-Secure has this option that is your best option.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Friday, October 9, 2020 3:32 PM
  • When using high quality virus protection programs they will have options to ignore specific folders and or specific files. If F-Secure has this option that is your best option.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

StackOverFlow

Hi, this is what I have done currently.

Was asking if there exists more decent ways.

Friday, October 9, 2020 3:58 PM

StackOverFlow

Hi, this is what I have done currently.

Was asking if there exists more decent ways.

The only other thing is a paid for certificate from a provider such as Verisign which indicates the executable is trusted which would need to be done in a post build event, downside is there are no free certificates for this. So what I gave is the best option.

StackOverFlow

Friday, October 9, 2020 6:41 PM