How to attach Document to Approval Workflow of SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need to attach a document to Approval Workflow of SharePoint 2010?

Can someone guide me to the process?

Thx

saumil

-Saumil
    Friday, May 27, 2011 2:21 AM

Answers

• Here are the steps to follow:

1. Go to the library tab in the library, and click Workflow settings in the ribbon.
    2. In the content type drop-down box, choose "Document".
    3. At this point if you already had any workflows connected to the library, they'd show here.  Click "Add a workflow"
    4. Choose one of the listed ones, such as "Approval - SharePoint 2010"
    5. In the unique name box, make up a name for it such as "approval workflow".
    6. Depending on when you want the workflow to be triggered, you can check boxes at the bottom next to "... item is created" and/or "....item is changed"
    7. click NEXT
    8. On this screen, any changes here are optional.  You can leave all the defaults and go back and change later if you'd like.
    9. Click SAVE.
    10. To run the workflow, it depends on what you selected at step 6.  If you left the checkbox to just run the workflow manually, you can go to the document library, click the drop-down on any document, and choose Workflows.  click the name of the workflow you just created and click START.

Laura Rogers, MCSE, MCTS
    SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/laura
    Twitter: WonderLaura
    Beginning SharePoint 2010: Building Business Solutions with SharePoint
    • Marked as answer by neo269 Friday, May 27, 2011 7:40 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Sure if it's available in the list of workflows to choose from.  I don't know off the top of my head what the content approval workflow is.  Is it something specific to your company?  As long as it was created as a reusable workflow that can be used with the document content type, then YES.
    Laura Rogers, MCSE, MCTS
    • Marked as answer by neo269 Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:01 AM
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:15 PM
  • There is no OOTB workflow with that name.  The Approval workflow provides content approval if you check the box on the 2nd page of the association form when you create the Approval workflow.  When you followed Laura's steps below, you were given a check box at the bottom of the 2nd page that defaulted to False, but if you check it, it will update the Approval Status column if you have content approval turned on.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:24 PM

All replies

• You don't attach a document to a workflow.  You attach a workflow to a document by first creating or adding a workflow to a document library, and then you put the document in that doc lib so that the workflow can start.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Here are the steps to follow:

1. Go to the library tab in the library, and click Workflow settings in the ribbon.
    2. In the content type drop-down box, choose "Document".
    3. At this point if you already had any workflows connected to the library, they'd show here.  Click "Add a workflow"
    4. Choose one of the listed ones, such as "Approval - SharePoint 2010"
    5. In the unique name box, make up a name for it such as "approval workflow".
    6. Depending on when you want the workflow to be triggered, you can check boxes at the bottom next to "... item is created" and/or "....item is changed"
    7. click NEXT
    8. On this screen, any changes here are optional.  You can leave all the defaults and go back and change later if you'd like.
    9. Click SAVE.
    10. To run the workflow, it depends on what you selected at step 6.  If you left the checkbox to just run the workflow manually, you can go to the document library, click the drop-down on any document, and choose Workflows.  click the name of the workflow you just created and click START.

Laura Rogers, MCSE, MCTS
    • Marked as answer by neo269 Friday, May 27, 2011 7:40 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Thx Laura for the reply.

Will the process you mentioned work for Content Approval Workflow also?

-saumil

-Saumil
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:41 AM
  • Sure if it's available in the list of workflows to choose from.  I don't know off the top of my head what the content approval workflow is.  Is it something specific to your company?  As long as it was created as a reusable workflow that can be used with the document content type, then YES.
    Laura Rogers, MCSE, MCTS
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:15 PM
  • There is no OOTB workflow with that name.  The Approval workflow provides content approval if you check the box on the 2nd page of the association form when you create the Approval workflow.  When you followed Laura's steps below, you were given a check box at the bottom of the 2nd page that defaulted to False, but if you check it, it will update the Approval Status column if you have content approval turned on.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:24 PM
  • thx cobb & laura!
    -Saumil
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:02 AM