Existing SQL Cluster: Easiest Method to Move to new Datacenter RRS feed

• Question

• Although there are a few questions similar to mine, I didn't find anything with these special circumstances, so I'll try a new thread:

We have an existing SQL 2008 Cluster with shared storage in a data center and we're moving this to a new data center.  It's quite a bit of data (400GB+), and I'm looking for a way to move it over without extended downtime.  Is there a way to add a third node perhaps to the cluster that's read only but syncs the data?  As a systems administrator (this company just lost their DBA, so I'm short filling the role), I may be approaching this the wrong way, but anyway.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:38 PM

Answers

• Hi VintageDon,

According to your description, personally,if you choose to use log shipping after adding a third node, you will need to manually transfer things like logins, linked servers, SQL jobs, etc. Even if you can failover the databases and recover them, however, this still causes SQL Server downtime due to the bit of data. Microsoft added live migration to Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2012. The management feature helps reduce planned downtime and provides a foundation for the dynamic data center by allowing you to move virtual machines (VMs) between Hyper-V hosts with no downtime at all.

A memory synchronization process occurs where the target VM is updated with the user’s changes to the source VM. After the memory is synchronized, the user is cut over to the VM running on the target Hyper-V host. The VM on the new host can immediately access its virtual hard disk (VHD) files stored on Cluster Shared Volumes (CSVs). For more information, see: http://windowsitpro.com/windows-server-2012/windows-server-2012-shared-storage-live-migration

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:08 AM
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:40 AM