none
I want to know how to make a team lead to get the task updates of a project owned by his manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want  team lead who is a member of a project owned by his manager to get task updates sent by the team members who are into the same project .

As of know :

1) The manager who owns the project belongs to project manager group,with project manager global permission and also he is having project manager permission in MyProject category.

2) The team lead who is a member in the above mentioned project is into team lead group,with team lead global permission and also team lead permission on MyProject category.

3) the project manager has given the team leader permission like

i) can open the project

ii) can edit ,save,publish

for the same project in the project permission page

4)and the team lead is the time sheet manager for the team members of that same project .I

For the above scenario a time sheet can me sent from team member for either team leader or project manager

And task update from team member is directly going to project manager for approval.

But in our case  case i want the task update to be sent first to team lead than later which the team leader can reroot it to project manger for approval or he himself can approve it

Please let me know wat r the steps to be taken to achive this

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Abzzzz,

the person responsible for approving task updates is the "status manager". This is by default the person who created the task in the plan and saved the plan - in your case probably the project manager.

If you want the task updates to be approved by the team lead, the team lead has to open the project plan and add the column "status manager". There is a drop down for this column. There he chooses his name for the appropriate tasks and saves/publishs the project plan.

The important thing to know with this field is that the field values normally have to be changed by a "pull". The team lead has to fill himself in. The project manager will normally not be able to do so - at least not from start.

This ist, because the dropdown contains only the persons who are already status manager in this project - and the one currently logged on.

If the team lead is status manager for one task, the project manager will be able to fill his name for every new task for this team. But the first step has to be done by the team lead himself.

Summary tasks will always show the logged in user as status manager. You can ignore that.

Status manager is set on a task level but written to the database on assignment level (if you want to check who is status manager for which task on the database).

A change of the status manager will also work for outstanding task updates. They will be visible for the new status manager for approval after publishing.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Christoph

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Hello, yes you have to:

1 - go to build team and add the person you want to be the status manager. SOunds like this is already done.

2 - go to insert status manager column in the gannt view in project pro 

3 - then for each task, or for all use the 'fill handle' to select more than one task and set the status manager field to the desired person.

cheers

Ray Letts Arbutus Solutions

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Hello Sir,

But if i do as u say that is given the permission to change the status manager to himself for the tasks of the project ,saves and publish.....

My question is will the status manager change automatically to the project manager when the project is opened,save  and published by the project manger in project professional..........?

That is even though the team lead changes the status manager column to himself for the task list,will it get changed to project manager whn the project is checked out by project manager and saved,published by him?

Please clear me with these steps.......

Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:53 AM
  • Hi Abzzzz,

project will itself never change the status manager afterwards. It is only set automatically on creating the task and remains untouched afterwards.

So the project manager can edit/save/publish the plan and this does not chane the status manager.

Regards

Christoph

Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:08 AM
  • Hi Ray,

your step 1 is optional. You do not have to be a member of the team to become status manager. This is only needed if in your security concept this is the way that the team lead gets write access to the plan.

Christoph

Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:09 AM