Application cannot start Error RRS feed

• Question

• I worked on my project and then compiled it and I am trying to install it and test it on user machines it allows me to install the app but when its time for the app to start up it gives me the "Application cannot start error".

When I click on details it outputs a notepad document with the folllowing message:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
        Windows             : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
        Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.269
        System.Deployment.dll         : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
        clr.dll             : 4.0.30319.269 (RTMGDR.030319-2600)
        dfdll.dll             : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
        dfshim.dll             : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
        Deployment url            : file:///C:/Users/Weighbridge1/Desktop/publish/WBS3000.application
        Application url            : file:///C:/Users/Weighbridge1/Desktop/publish/Application%20Files/WBS3000_1_0_0_29/WBS3000.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
        Deployment Identity        : WBS3000.application, Version=1.0.0.29, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a7ebb09d8e204ffe, processorArchitecture=x86
        Application Identity        : WBS3000.exe, Version=1.0.0.29, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a7ebb09d8e204ffe, processorArchitecture=x86, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
        * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
        Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
        * Activation of C:\Users\Weighbridge1\Desktop\publish\WBS3000.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
            + Unable to install this application because an application with the same identity is already installed. To install this application, either modify the manifest version for this application or uninstall the preexisting application.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
        No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
        There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
        * [2012/06/28 11:56:12 AM] : Activation of C:\Users\Weighbridge1\Desktop\publish\WBS3000.application has started.
        * [2012/06/28 11:56:12 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
        * [2012/06/28 11:56:12 AM] : Installation of the application has started.
        * [2012/06/28 11:56:12 AM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
        * [2012/06/28 11:56:14 AM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.
        * [2012/06/28 11:56:14 AM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.
        * [2012/06/28 11:56:22 AM] : Downloading of subscription dependencies is complete.
        * [2012/06/28 11:56:22 AM] : Commit of the downloaded application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
        Following errors were detected during this operation.
        * [2012/06/28 11:56:22 AM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (Subscription)
            - Unable to install this application because an application with the same identity is already installed. To install this application, either modify the manifest version for this application or uninstall the preexisting application.
            - Source: System.Deployment
            - Stack trace:
                at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CheckApplicationPayload(CommitApplicationParams commitParams)
                at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
        No transaction information is available.

The thing is I first uninstall the program before I attempt to install it again on the machine after testing it and fixing some bugs in the software.I've tried restarting the machine , antivirus scanning what more can I do to fix this?

If you think it you can achieve it

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:09 AM

Answers

• If you read the error messages, it says that the application is already installed. If you look in Programs, is it in there? If it's not, then you need to clear your ClickOnce cache by finding mage.exe and copying it to the machine, and running the command "mage -cc" in a command window. I would also delete the \Apps\2.0 folder under the user's profile.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

• Proposed as answer by Bob Wu-MT Friday, June 29, 2012 6:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Wu-MT Monday, July 2, 2012 9:45 AM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 3:35 AM

All replies

• If you read the error messages, it says that the application is already installed. If you look in Programs, is it in there? If it's not, then you need to clear your ClickOnce cache by finding mage.exe and copying it to the machine, and running the command "mage -cc" in a command window. I would also delete the \Apps\2.0 folder under the user's profile.

RobinDotNet

• Proposed as answer by Bob Wu-MT Friday, June 29, 2012 6:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Wu-MT Monday, July 2, 2012 9:45 AM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 3:35 AM
  • Thanks for your reply RobinDotNet

I would like to know where exaclty on the client machine to copy the mage.exe app? When I ran the "mage-cc" command in the Command window I got  an error message.

If you think it you can achieve it

Friday, June 29, 2012 8:29 AM
  • Hi tendaimare,

You can call the command in the Visual Studio Command Prompt.

Another way is negativing the path to [Program Files Folder]\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\[version]\Bin in the command window.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, June 29, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Hi tendaimare,

You can copy the mage.exe anywhere that you can navigate to in a command window. I usually create a folder on the C drive (C:\mage\) and put it there, run it, and then remove it.

You can find the mage.exe under the VS tools. On my machine (64-bit Windows 7, VS2010), they are here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin

RobinDotNet

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 11:12 PM