Changing Passwords in data Dources RRS feed

• Question

• I have a centralized report server that connects to many other databases at different locations. Each location has a data source to it and uses the same service account. I need to update the data sources to the new password. A service account only gets 3 attempts before it locks up. I am afraid that users will be hitting the reports while they still have the old password in the data source and lock up the service account. If I put the report server database into restricted mode will it keep users from using the reports while I change the password in the data source?
    Tuesday, March 10, 2020 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Alad1nsane,

Based on my test, the user can still access report when the ReportServer database in Restricted User Mode.

You could try to remove “manage reports” task from role before modifying passwords in Data Sources, and add “manage reports” task after modifying passwords in Data Sources, or you could create a new temporarily role has the item-level permissions you want. Please refer to Tasks and Permissions - Item-Level Tasks which might help.

In addition, you could try to create a new data source with new credentials and link this new data source to all dependent reports individually.

Hope this could help you.

Best Regards,

Amelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 8:40 AM
  • Hi Alad1nsane,

Was your issue resolved?

If the replies could help you, please mark the useful reply as answer to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If not, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Amelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 16, 2020 1:21 AM