none
Visio 2013 hand-drawn themes - problem with BeginArrow and EndArrow RRS feed

• Question

• In many of my Visio shapes I use multiple geometries, and these shapes do not "survive" hand-drawn themes in Visio 2013. Is it a defect? If it is a new "feature", how to handle (disable) it?

Steps to reproduce the problem:
    1. Create a rectangle in Visio 2013
    2. Click Format Shape and set Begin Arrow type to something different than 0, for example 12.
    3. Click Design and apply a Hand-drawn theme, for example, Pencil, Pen, Marker or Whiteboard themes.
    4. The rectangle will have an arrow in one corner. By applying another theme the arrow disappears.

In more detail: a usual behavior of all Visio versions, if a shape geometry starts at the same place as it ends, the BeginArrow and EndArrow cells are ignored. For example, if the EndArrow cell is set to 12, there is an arrow at the line end, unless the geometry ends at the same place as it starts. That is, regardless the EndArrow value, the boxes, circles, etc., are displayed without an arrow in one corner or point.

In Visio 2013 this applies to all themes, EXCEPT OF built-in hand-drawn themes. In hand-drawn themes, boxes, circles, have an arrow in one corner or point, if BeginArrow and EndArrow cells are non-equal 0.

I would like to know whether this is a defect, or, if this is an  intentional new behavior, how to deal with it or disable it?

Thanks,
    Pavel
    Friday, December 27, 2013 5:32 PM

All replies

• Interesting observation.

For a generic rectangle, the lower left corner is the start and end (first and last row for that Geometry section) and the arrow heads will appear when that theme is implemented. 

If you open the shapesheet for that shape you will notice the values in the Line Format shape do not change, but the arrow heads disappear.

I will bring this to the attention of the team.

John... the original Visio MVP (since 1993) Visio.MVPs.org

Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:18 PM