none
Server Manager cannot run because of an error in a user settings file. RRS feed

• Question

• Server Manger cannot run because of an error in a user settings file. Click OK to restore default settings and continue, or click Cancel to exit. The configuration section 'connectionStrings' has an unexpected declaration.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:     CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01:     ServerManger.exe

I cannot enter the Server Manger at all.

Friday, February 28, 2014 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You would need to get some data. Namely the servermanager.log (c:\windows\logs) and a user dump for the servermanager crash to analyze.

>>Server Manger cannot run because of an error in a user settings file.

If you cann't run Server Manger in your windows server,I suggest you consult Windows server forum to give more precise troubleshooting.

>> The configuration section 'connectionStrings' has an unexpected declaration.

Did you have ConnectionString to connect database?

please check if there are any errors in the ConnectionStrings.

I suggest you refering to connectionstrings to get correct connect string :http://www.connectionstrings.com/

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 3, 2014 3:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You would need to get some data. Namely the servermanager.log (c:\windows\logs) and a user dump for the servermanager crash to analyze.

>>Server Manger cannot run because of an error in a user settings file.

If you cann't run Server Manger in your windows server,I suggest you consult Windows server forum to give more precise troubleshooting.

>> The configuration section 'connectionStrings' has an unexpected declaration.

Did you have ConnectionString to connect database?

please check if there are any errors in the ConnectionStrings.

I suggest you refering to connectionstrings to get correct connect string :http://www.connectionstrings.com/

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 3, 2014 3:35 AM
  • I have the same problem, after deleting the whole content of C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv.

I have tried to remove and add again the feature of IIS Web Server, but the problem still persist..

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:21 PM
  • I resolved this problem today and it was caused by missing / renamed machine.config xml file from the .net 4 installation folder located in the following location:-

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config

Restored the file from backup then now Server Manager, Group Policy Manager and other mmc issues resolved. :)

• Proposed as answer by N-H-C Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 11:51 AM
  • Chris,

Worked for me too. I copied the machine.config file from another server and Server Manager started to work. Thank!

• Proposed as answer by N-H-C Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by N-H-C Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:28 PM
    • Edited by N-H-C Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:29 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:27 PM
  • Yes. Worked for me too on windows 2016 server. i have copied the machine.config.default and renamed to machine.config.

thanks chriss.

cheers,

Febin

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 8:24 AM
  • I used the solution proposed by Chris. Copied the file from another server.
    Friday, July 13, 2018 7:31 PM
  • Thank you, for me it's working Now. After implemented this. 
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:34 PM
  • This solution worked for me sounds good, just I replaced the config file from working server then the issue is resolved thanks allot Chirs :)
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:49 PM
  • Thank you Chris solution worked for me.
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:52 PM