SQL Server 2008 R2 Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

How do i stop the backup jobs of SQL Server 2008 R2, when i check the management studio, there is no job schedule, but when i check the log history of a database there is an backup running with NTAuthority\system, how do i completely stop this backup, as i am running the backup using symantec backup exec. so i dont want to run SQL internal Backup, and i also check the SQLServer Agent and windows schedule task no backup taking place.   attached her the snapshot which show the backup job take place

Friday, August 2, 2013 1:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you do not see any relevant information in sql agent, then backup mostly comes from outside of sql server.But you say you are aware of symantec. So better confirm this backup at 11.03 pm is not from symantec.

To find out session information, you need to query server information at that particular time.

SElect Hostname, program_name, nt_username, loginame, login_time, spid 
    from sys.sysprocesses where cmd like '%Backup%'

Srinivasan

Friday, August 2, 2013 4:01 AM
  • when i check the management studio, there is no job schedule, but when i check the log history of a database there is an backup running

Hello,

A normal SQL Server maintenance job would use a value for "Backup Name", in your screenshot it's empty. So I guess there is may an other external backup software which has a schedule to backup the databases. Have you asked your IT department if they use such a software?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, August 2, 2013 4:07 AM
  • Hi

there is no other external backup software running except symantec.

Friday, August 2, 2013 7:21 AM
  • there is no other external backup software running except symantec.

Then may a job is scheduled on a different SQL Server to run the backup from remote on this server; it's common the centralize SQL Server-Agent job management on one server.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, August 2, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Does expand the "device Type" button give you a clue? Also, does the errorlog file give more info for these backups?

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Friday, August 2, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Hello,

Did you or other user use Windows Task Scheduler with T-SQL statement  to automate backup databases?
    Reference:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019698

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 5, 2013 11:19 AM