VS 2010 servipack 1 - cannot create Unit Test Project - Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to COM component RRS feed

• Question

• Hi people

I have a vs 2010 web solution in VB.net, I am trying to create my unit test project for a method in my business layer (it is a class library), but despite the unit test project skeleton is created, creation process fail in some moment and It is not able to create code at the unit test project giving next error below:

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to COM component

Having a look to the events watcher I obtain next extra information

(devenv.exe, PID 620, Thread 1) HierarchyOutputCollection.GetOutputGroup: either buildManager.FindActiveProjectCfg or projectCfg[0].OpenOutputGroup failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error no especificado (Excepción de HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))
       en System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Vsip.HierarchyOutputCollection.GetOutputGroup(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, IVsHierarchy hierarchy)

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="VSTTExecution" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-15T17:07:15.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>17858</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>WIN7MVJECHAGUE</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>(devenv.exe, PID 620, Thread 1) HierarchyOutputCollection.GetOutputGroup: either buildManager.FindActiveProjectCfg or projectCfg[0].OpenOutputGroup failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error no especificado (Excepción de HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))
       en System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       en Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Vsip.HierarchyOutputCollection.GetOutputGroup(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, IVsHierarchy hierarchy)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Thanks in advance for any help , it is driving me crazy , cause I can create it for code examples from tutorials at the same machine, but not with this solution I am working wiith

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Jimmy,

If you create a very simple project with a very simple method, and create one unit test for that method, will you get the same error message? If you still get that error message, in my opinion, there should be something wrong with your VS2010. Please try reparing it to see if it helps.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:36 AM
  • Hi Jimmy,

What about your issue now? Have you resolved it?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:31 AM