none
Difficulty removing characters from the start of a numbered paragraph RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having a problem with the below little routine that I wrote to round-trip numbered paragraphs into chevronated paragraphs and then to return back to numbered paragraphs.

I start with the following:

1. Level 1
     1.1. Level 2a
      1.1.A. Level 3
     1.2. Level 2b

When I run the code on this, it produces the following, which is correct:

Level 1
    >Level 2a
    >>Level 3
    >Level 2b

When I run the code on this result, it produces the following, which is incorrect:

1. Level 1
     1.1. >Level 2a
      1.1.A. >>Level 3
     1.2. >Level 2b

This is incorrect because of the existence of the chevrons. However, any attempt I make to get rid of the chevrons within the loop gives me unpredictable results. I tried to do L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Text.Replace(“>”,””), but that removes more than just the chevrons, and it seems to have an impact on the indentation. I think I am missing something simple. How would you remove those chevrons?

Many thanks in advance,

Keith

FriendSharedSubF_S_StyleConvertChevrons(ByValV_V_Scalar_Range_Generic AsRange, ByValV_V_Scalar_Document_Generic AsDocument)

'#[3:HowRK00<HowRK00:0.25:The indentation for level 2 and onwards is 1 level too many for de-chevronation.]

IfV_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Start <> V_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.End Then

ForEachL_V_Scalar_Paragraph_Item AsParagraphInV_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Paragraphs

DimL_V_Scalar_Range_Generic AsRange= L_V_Scalar_Paragraph_Item.Range

DimL_V_Scalar_Style_Generic AsStyle= DirectCast(L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Style, Style)

IfL_V_Scalar_Style_Generic.NameLocal = V_V_Scalar_Document_Generic.Styles.Item("Normal").NameLocal Then

L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Style =

C_A_G_C_U_Constant.G_C_Scalar_String_OrdinaryListStyleText

DimL_V_Scalar_Integer_ChevronCount AsInteger= C_A_H_CommonCoreCore.U_A_G_C_U_String.G_F_Scalar_Integer_CountCharacters(L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Text, ">"c)

ForL_V_Scalar_Integer_ListLevelNumberCurrent AsInteger= 1 ToL_V_Scalar_Integer_ChevronCount

L_V_Scalar_Paragraph_Item.Range.ListFormat.ListIndent()

Next

Else

ConstL_C_Scalar_Integer_NonChevronatedLevelsCount AsInteger= 1

DimL_V_Scalar_Integer_ListLevelNumberMaximum AsInteger= M_F_Scalar_Integer_GetListLevelFromParagraph(L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic) - L_C_Scalar_Integer_NonChevronatedLevelsCount

IfL_V_Scalar_Integer_ListLevelNumberMaximum >= 0 Then

L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Style = V_V_Scalar_Document_Generic.Styles.Item(

"Normal").NameLocal

DimL_V_Scalar_String_ChevronLevel AsString= NewString(">"c, L_V_Scalar_Integer_ListLevelNumberMaximum)

L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.InsertBefore(L_V_Scalar_String_ChevronLevel)

EndIf

EndIf

Next

EndIf

EndSub

R K Howard

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:57 PM

Answers

• Hi. Thanks for your feedback. Manipulating text within a range within a loop seems quite precarious and fiddly. After a lot of trial and error, I got the following code to work. I had to change a For Next loop to a Do While loop, and I had to add a couple of nasty If Then conditions.

FriendSharedSubF_S_StyleConvertChevrons(ByValV_V_Scalar_Selection_Generic AsSelection)

IfV_V_Scalar_Selection_Generic.Start <> V_V_Scalar_Selection_Generic.End Then

DimL_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCount AsInteger= V_V_Scalar_Selection_Generic.Paragraphs.Count

DimL_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCurrent AsInteger= 1

DoWhileL_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCurrent <= L_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCount

DimL_V_Scalar_Range_Generic AsRange= V_V_Scalar_Selection_Generic.Paragraphs(L_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCurrent).Range

DimL_V_Scalar_Style_Generic AsStyle= DirectCast(L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Style, Style)

IfL_V_Scalar_Style_Generic.NameLocal = "Normal"Then

DimL_V_Scalar_Integer_ChevronCount AsInteger= C_A_H_CommonCoreCore.U_A_G_C_U_String.G_F_Scalar_Integer_CountCharacters(L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Text.Trim, ">"c)

DimL_V_Scalar_String_ParagraphOriginal AsString= L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Text

IfL_V_Scalar_String_ParagraphOriginal.Trim.StartsWith(">") Then

DimL_V_Scalar_String_ParagraphReplacement AsString= L_V_Scalar_String_ParagraphOriginal.Substring(L_V_Scalar_Integer_ChevronCount)

L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Text = L_V_Scalar_String_ParagraphReplacement

EndIf

L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.ListFormat.ListLevelNumber = L_V_Scalar_Integer_ChevronCount + 1

IfL_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCurrent = L_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCount Then

L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Application.Selection.MoveDown(

WdUnits.wdParagraph, 1, WdMovementType.wdExtend)

EndIf

Else

DimL_V_Scalar_Integer_ListLevelNumberMaximum AsInteger= M_F_Scalar_Integer_GetListLevelFromParagraph(L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic) - L_C_Scalar_Integer_NonChevronatedLevelsCount

"Normal"

DimL_V_Scalar_String_ChevronLevel AsString= NewString(">"c, L_V_Scalar_Integer_ListLevelNumberMaximum)

EndIf

EndIf

L_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCurrent += 1

Loop

EndIf

EndSub

R K Howard

Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Keith,

Did you want to remove ">"  in the document?

I failed to run the methoed above, would you mind sharing with us a workable sample?

Also I test the code below to remove the ">" in the document, it works well for me:

Sub ReplaceChevrons()
    Debug.Print Replace(Application.Selection.Range.Text, ">", "")

End Sub

Here is the screenshot:

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:49 AM
  • Hi. Thanks for your feedback. Manipulating text within a range within a loop seems quite precarious and fiddly. After a lot of trial and error, I got the following code to work. I had to change a For Next loop to a Do While loop, and I had to add a couple of nasty If Then conditions.

FriendSharedSubF_S_StyleConvertChevrons(ByValV_V_Scalar_Selection_Generic AsSelection)

IfV_V_Scalar_Selection_Generic.Start <> V_V_Scalar_Selection_Generic.End Then

DimL_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCount AsInteger= V_V_Scalar_Selection_Generic.Paragraphs.Count

DimL_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCurrent AsInteger= 1

DoWhileL_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCurrent <= L_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCount

DimL_V_Scalar_Range_Generic AsRange= V_V_Scalar_Selection_Generic.Paragraphs(L_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCurrent).Range

IfL_V_Scalar_Style_Generic.NameLocal = "Normal"Then

DimL_V_Scalar_Integer_ChevronCount AsInteger= C_A_H_CommonCoreCore.U_A_G_C_U_String.G_F_Scalar_Integer_CountCharacters(L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Text.Trim, ">"c)

DimL_V_Scalar_String_ParagraphOriginal AsString= L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Text

IfL_V_Scalar_String_ParagraphOriginal.Trim.StartsWith(">") Then

DimL_V_Scalar_String_ParagraphReplacement AsString= L_V_Scalar_String_ParagraphOriginal.Substring(L_V_Scalar_Integer_ChevronCount)

L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Text = L_V_Scalar_String_ParagraphReplacement

EndIf

L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.ListFormat.ListLevelNumber = L_V_Scalar_Integer_ChevronCount + 1

IfL_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCurrent = L_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCount Then

L_V_Scalar_Range_Generic.Application.Selection.MoveDown(

WdUnits.wdParagraph, 1, WdMovementType.wdExtend)

EndIf

Else

"Normal"

EndIf

EndIf

L_V_Scalar_Integer_ParagraphCurrent += 1

Loop

EndIf

EndSub

R K Howard

Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:15 PM