VS2012 with SSDT - close solution = close opened sql tabs RRS feed

• Question

• In VS2012 (ver.11.0.61030.00 update 4) with SSDT (ver.11.1.50730.0), everytime I close solution it will close all opened SQL tables/procedures, why and how can I prevent this behaviour?

----- Lukas -----

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Lukas,

So you mean that you just open the file, but you want to edit the code, so you need to open the whole solution, am I right?

I often open the whole solution, so I could edit any files of the projects in the solution explorer.

Or I use the Startup option to control the VS start.

Sorry for that I didn't find other better workaround, but I understand your requirements, so I help you submit a feature request here:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/16768171-not-close-file-if-close-the-solution

You could vote it and add your comment.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Saturday, October 22, 2016 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Lukas,

It seems that the latest update package is the update 5 for the VS2012 version.

>>everytime I close solution it will close all opened SQL tables/procedures.

Could you share a screen shot about this issue? How did you close the solution?

My understanding is that if you close the solution in your VS, it would close all files you opened in VS. Would you please share us more detailed information about this issue? 

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:45 AM
  • Hello,

I have updated my vs to VS12.5, but the behaviour is the same = every time I close any solution (if it is TFS solution or not), this action closes all SQL tabs and procedures and all opened files.

I§m closing solution using usual way: menu FILE / Close Solution.

Screenshot:

----- Lukas -----

Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:26 PM
  • Hi lukval,

Close Solution: it can close a solution and remove it from Solution Explorer. Closing a solution makes it unavailable for use by Solution.

I could repro this issue, but my understanding it would be normal, since all tabs and procedures files you opened is from the solution explorer window, so if you close the solution, it would close and remove all solution files in the solution explorer window.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Friday, October 21, 2016 11:03 AM
  • I don't think it is a normal behaviour but anyway another side of this issue:

If I'm checking some tables for data and it's procedures without opening appropriate solution, VS will create new blank solution named 'Solution1'. Then if I found some mistake I want to repair the code related to it so I must open the appropriate solution. This will close ALL the opened tabs and procs!! This is not good behaviour because all opened tabs and procs must be opened again and again...

And temporary solution for this behaviour? I must open the appropriate solution in new VS process\new independent window. Is it normal?

Best regards

----- Lukas -----

Friday, October 21, 2016 1:21 PM
  • Hi Lukas,

So you mean that you just open the file, but you want to edit the code, so you need to open the whole solution, am I right?

I often open the whole solution, so I could edit any files of the projects in the solution explorer.

Or I use the Startup option to control the VS start.

Sorry for that I didn't find other better workaround, but I understand your requirements, so I help you submit a feature request here:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/16768171-not-close-file-if-close-the-solution

You could vote it and add your comment.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Saturday, October 22, 2016 6:39 AM
  • You are right, but I have much more solutions than one. Anyway thank you for the feature request.

----- Lukas -----

Monday, October 24, 2016 12:34 PM
  • Please add vote for it:)

Thanks for your suggestion, it would make the VS product to be better and better. If possible, would you please mark the previous reply as the temporary answer? So other member could help us to vote the feature request during they find this case or meet the same issue.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Monday, October 24, 2016 12:42 PM
  • allready voted, regards

----- Lukas -----

Monday, October 24, 2016 4:01 PM