none
64 Bit error: 80040154 RRS feed

• Question

• Error: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {E44847F1-FD8C-4251-B5DA-B04BB22E236E} failed due to the following error: 80040154

I am receiving the above error on a windows 7 machine. I have a simple program that references ManagedDTS.dll that is compiled through visual studio for AnyCPU.

Code:
    Application fred = new Application();
    try {
    Package p = fred.LoadPackage(file, null);
    MessageBox.Show("yipee");
    }
    catch (Exception ez) {
    MessageBox.Show(ez.Message);
    }

When I run this program on an XP or XP 64bit PC with SSIS full installation (SSIS service installed) it runs successfully.

On the 64 bit windows 7 box only client tools (64 bit) are installed and hence packages only run through bids.

If i compile my program to run as x86 it runs fine on the windows 7 box but will not run as AnyCPU on that box - ie 64 bit.

Why is this ? Looking at the ManagedDTS.dll it seems to be compiled as AnyCPU so thought it would run ok on a 64 bit windows 7 box as it runs ok on the 64 bit XP box. Only difference is the 64 bit XP box has a full install of SSIS but this should not matter as a 32 bit version still runs on the windows 7 box ?

Any help greatly appreciated
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:58 AM

Answers

• No, the 64bit SSIS installer is part of the 64bit SQL Server installer. It is usually a separate folder on the installation DVD. And I don't think installing the complete SSIS will in any way change your licensing cost.
    SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Eileen Zhao Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:02 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Just to help CozyRoc (Ivan) clarify...

Installing the 64-bit version of SSIS will not change any licensing for you.

BUT - you MUST install SSIS on developer machines.  Just because they intend to run the packages through Visual Studio doesn't mean they don't need SSIS installed.  They do.  That requires a license - even if it's a Developer license...

Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on
    Friday, September 2, 2011 2:13 PM

All replies

• Which version of SQL Server do you have installed on the machine where it is failing ? The above CLSID is for the SSIS Application object for SQL 2005. Could it be that you have only the 32bit SSIS installed on this machine? You can find out by checking the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS folder if it contains similar number of sub-folders and files like the folder under "Program Files (x86)".
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:38 AM
  • SQL 2005 64 bit.

No it does not contain similar numbers, only "Program Files(x86)" contains all the assemblies and directories required.

Thanks

Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:37 AM
  • SQL 2005 64 bit.

No it does not contain similar numbers, only "Program Files(x86)" contains all the assemblies and directories required.

Thanks

Okay, so it looks like you didn't use the correct installer. You have to use the 64bit installer to install the 64bit SSIS on this machine. Then you will see the required sub-folders and assemblies appearing.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:41 AM
  • Is there even a 64 bit client tools for SQL 2005, that seems to be the issue.

The install disk we used said 64 bit but according to searches on the web there is an issue for SQL 2005. Apparently there are no 64 bit client tools for 2005 only 2008?

Am I getting confused here ?

Should files appear in the "Program Files" sub directories on a window 7 box or do only 32 bit files get installed for SQL 2005 in the "Program Files(x86)" sub directories?

Thanks for the help.

Friday, September 2, 2011 1:39 AM
  • There are no 64bit client tools. However there is 64bit  SSIS runtime and that is what appears you are missing on this machine. And there should be files in "Program Files" folder. These are the libraries used in 64bit execution.
    Friday, September 2, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Thanks so much.

Is the 64 bit SSIS runtime the full SSIS install ? ie. Do you then have SSIS service installed ?

ie. We did not intend to do a full install of SSIS on certain machines, people using these machines will only run packages through Visual Studio and not independently. Think it has to do with licencing issues ?

Not sure if explaining myself correctly.

Thanks

Friday, September 2, 2011 3:17 AM
  • No, the 64bit SSIS installer is part of the 64bit SQL Server installer. It is usually a separate folder on the installation DVD. And I don't think installing the complete SSIS will in any way change your licensing cost.
    Friday, September 2, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Just to help CozyRoc (Ivan) clarify...

Installing the 64-bit version of SSIS will not change any licensing for you.

BUT - you MUST install SSIS on developer machines.  Just because they intend to run the packages through Visual Studio doesn't mean they don't need SSIS installed.  They do.  That requires a license - even if it's a Developer license...

Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on
    Friday, September 2, 2011 2:13 PM