No need to retrieve proxy explicitly with StreamSocket::ConnectAsync?

Question

• Hello, dear all,

It seems that we don't need to retrieve whether there is proxy configured for a specific remote server (with GetProxyConfigurationAsync) when using StreamSocket::ConnectAsync. It will do it for us automatically. Please refer to what David said in this thread. He is the networking guru from Microsoft.

I asked this because I've encountered an issue:

1. if there is no proxy configured in the system and I could connect to a remote server successfully with StreamSocket::ConnectAsync;

2. even if there is proxy configured, but I could connect to the remote server directly with StreamSocket::ConnectAsync;

3. if there is proxy configured (we could get this with GetProxyConfigurationAsync) , I could use StreamSocket::ConnectAsync with plain socket to the proxy successfully, but when using StreamSocket::UpgradeToSslAsync to upgrade the connection to SSL with the remote server as the validation address, it never succeeds.

So far our App works well without retrieving the proxy configuration because the system does it automatically. So StreamSocket::ConnectAsync is always working well. But could anybody give me a definite answer(either positive or negtive is OK) whether we should connect to the target remote server directly without retrieving the proxy configuration? It is still a black box and there is no official document on MSDN about this.

It is very important to us. Thanks!

• Edited by B0L Friday, May 2, 2014 12:11 AM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 12:04 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedback B0L. I will check with the doc team on getting this documented. Like David mentioned in his response...."It's a feature referred to as "proxy tunneling" and is intended to allow an app to work seamlessly in a corporate environment without it being aware that a connection through a proxy may be required."

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

• Marked as answer by B0L Friday, May 2, 2014 11:33 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 5:58 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback B0L. I will check with the doc team on getting this documented. Like David mentioned in his response...."It's a feature referred to as "proxy tunneling" and is intended to allow an app to work seamlessly in a corporate environment without it being aware that a connection through a proxy may be required."

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

• Marked as answer by B0L Friday, May 2, 2014 11:33 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Hi, Prashant, thank you very much! I do believe there is no need to explicitly retrieve the proxy config. Would you please tell us or write anything here when the doc is available?

Friday, May 2, 2014 11:33 PM
  • Hi B0L, yes, I will update this thread when I have more information to share...

Monday, May 5, 2014 5:09 PM
  • Hi, Prashant, thank you very much! Looking forward for the good news!
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:48 AM