none
Restore Windows 2008 Server Full Image Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day to all of you!

I have the following questions, since I'm a newbie in using Windows 2008 Server:

Scenario: I have two identical servers (to be specific, both are HP ML110G6 Servers): 1 is the original which has two Harddrive (250GB each) setup for RAID - let's call this Server 1, and the other one is intended for Backup which only have one 1 harddrive also at 250GB - let's call this Server 2.

I backup all the contents of Server 1 using the Windows Server Backup of Windows 2008 Server. I chose the Backup Once Wizard for Full Backup, which means that the entire server data, applications and system state will be backedup. The backup is stored in an external Harddrive which capacity is 80GB, enought to contain the 40GB backup of Server 1.

In other words, I did a Full Image Backup of Server 1.

My questions:

1. Is it possible if I restore the Full Image Backup of Server 1 to Server 2 using the Windows 2008 Server Installation Disk by click on "Restore from a full backup..."?

2. How?

3. I bought with Server #2 a Licensed Windows 2008 Server bundled with Server #2 so there's no license issue or whatever.

PLEASE HELP ME ON THIS...

THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:44 AM

All replies

• Restoring server with system state  will potentially work although if you did this whilst the other was live there would obviously be a duplicate machine SID and duplicate name active at the same time. There is an element of doubt about the disk signature change so that could cause it to fail, although to be 100% you would have to try it.

Personally I wouldnt go the route you are suggesting and would only perform restore like this to same machine (or in virtual infrastructure). You would be better deciding what needed to be backed up and recovered and restore that alone to the live new server. If on failure you need to retain the same name you can always change the new server name post recovery.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:58 AM
  • I understand your explanation about "duplication".

FYI: I intend to duplicate Server 1 to Server 2 that is the main reason I bought an identical server. I do not intend to use the same server simultaneously. Server 1 will be running while the Server 2 will act as backup. Server 2 will not be connected while Server 1 is in use. In other words Server 2 will act as a replica of Server 1 and will only be used in case Server 1 of brokedown or in trouble. Actually, I only intend to duplicate the system state of server 1 to server 2, I have no problem restoring the data.

I've already tried the restoration of System Image of Server 1 to the new Server 2. However I encountered the following problem:

"The Windows Complete PC Restore operation failed.

Error details: The disk that is set as active in BIOS is too small to recover the original system disk. Replace the disk with a larger one and retry the restore operation. (0x80042407)"

PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THE ABOVE ERROR:

As a backgrounder: Server 1 Harddisk is 250 GB, partition 1 (C:) is 44.0 GB NTFS, partition 2 (D: the data disk) is 188.85 GB NTFS. Server 2 also has 250GB harddisk.

Do you I have to partition the harddisk of Server 2 prior to Windows Complete PC Restore operation?

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:31 AM