Double tap vs Tap touch gesture

Question

• As per the documentation, there are 7 touch interactions: Press and Hold - Learn, Tap for primary action, Slide to drag, Swipe to select, Pinch to Zoom, Swipe from edge for app and system UI, Rotate to rotate.

When I have GridView with items, primary action here is "selection of items", so Tap would be ideally used for primary action along with Swipe to select. However, there is a need for different interaction which allow user to go to FlipView with the selected item, such as 'double tap' similar to 'double click'.

Is double tap recommended touch interaction in this case?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

CAT

Friday, April 13, 2012 6:16 PM

Answers

• I wouldn't change the meaning of swipe, even if selection is the only possible action (and therefore the primary one). Coming to your app for the first time, I'd expect to swipe to select the items I'm interested in, and then choose either the preview or metadata action from the AppBar.

Rebecca M. Riordan

Friday, April 27, 2012 12:52 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure I'm understanding your use case. Are you trying to connect two actions plus selection? Or are you trying to do something like the Start pane where the primary (tap) is to launch the item?

Double tap is not one of the standard touch interactions and should be avoided where those will work.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:01 AM
    Owner
  • Sample scenario is: 

App displays list of Document thumbnail at the main page, user selects list of documents (so here 'selection' is a primary action) then click on appbar button will take them to next page where  common metadata is applied on selected documents.

Also App need to allow user to go to FlipView of the item from main page, flipview displays some preview of the page, then, user select items from the FlipView, then, presses appbar button to next page for editing metadata.

In Main Page, tap is assigned to 'selection' because it is a primary action (in addition to 'swipe), now what is the gesture is used to take user to FlipView of the item.

If I go with guidelines, 'swipe' is for selection and tap is for switching to FlipView.

CAT

Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:17 PM
  • I wouldn't change the meaning of swipe, even if selection is the only possible action (and therefore the primary one). Coming to your app for the first time, I'd expect to swipe to select the items I'm interested in, and then choose either the preview or metadata action from the AppBar.

Rebecca M. Riordan

Friday, April 27, 2012 12:52 PM
  • I totally agree.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:20 PM